Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad bean roots

Hi there,

Mr H has just kindly harvested the broad beans for me. He chopped them at ground level, I know the roots are good for the soil, but where do you need to chop the stems at? with the roots dug in can I use the ground straight away?
    and,
    The beans had some chocolate spot, can I still dig in the roots and use the leaves on the compost heap?
    Sorry for all the questions

chop them off at ground level and just dig them in. I always compost my broad bean leftovers in the lottie compost bin, even if there is a bit of chocolate spot.

The ground can indeed be used immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
      chop them off at ground level and just dig them in. I always compost my broad bean leftovers in the lottie compost bin, even if there is a bit of chocolate spot.

The ground can indeed be used immediately.
      Did that I planted lettuice seedlings where my broard beans were.
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

I've some brassicas ready to go out where the bored beans and the peas have just been. I've chopped off the plants at ground level and done some cursory (!) weeding of the area.

The ground's pretty solid from where I've been walking round harvesting/chopping plants down, so would it be ok just to use a trowel to make an 'ole for each of my brassicas and not dig over at all, leaving all the roots just as they are?

Comment

Mine have been replaced with swede and black kale.

Comment

Thanks guys, was going to plant some late cauliflowers!
            Big pat on the back for OH tonight, he did well :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X