potato problem?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potato problem?

Blight was just starting on the spuds so we lifted them early.
    The tubers themselves have lots of very small, evenly spaced white blemishes. Almost looks like lots of little piles of salt crystals all over the potatoes. It doesn't seem to match the symptoms of blight from the pictures I googled. Anyone know what this might be? They look ok otherwise but thought I'd check if anyone knows.

Many thanks

I think these are ok, there are some clever people here, they will know more than I.

Comment

Someone will know - my best guess would be slug eggs?

Comment

Doesn't sound like a symptom of blight. It might be some form of potato scab if it doesn't just brush off, but this is usually only cosmetic & if you scrape it or peel it off the rest of the potato is fine to eat.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I had a bit of this on some of my earlies. It just rubs off with the skin. Mine were growing in a relatively dry area and I put it down to that thinking it was a pre-cursor to veining which is associated with dry soil!
          Sounds daft I know, dry soil in this weather, but the rain struggles to get through the potato leaf canopy when they're in full leaf!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I too had these on my earlies and also now on my mains I have noticed. Initially I thought it was canker coming but doesn't appear to have formed correctly for this.

I am not sure and have tried to find out, but to no avail.

It's not blight though.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

OK, doesn't sound too bad then.
              Snadger, I know what you mean but we are on a heavy clay soil that is very very wet. When we dug them up they were all wearing life jackets!

Thank you all for the comments.

Comment

Dug my first few up yesterday. One and a half were blighted (individual tubers, that is), the rest seem to be okay. Following advice in Another Gardening Magazine (Traitor!), I cut off all my potato foliage when I found signs of blight. Some of the stems had gone slimy, which I assume is to do with blight - it's only my second year growing potatoes.

Comment

Our potatoes were hit by blight over a month ago. We cut all the tops off and have now started clearing ground but have been pleased to discover our earlies are fine. Skins are a bit tough now but they will mash nicely. We are pleased, the situation on entire allotment site had looked dire at one stage.

Comment

I think it is just a bad year! What with all that rain, and Summer not exactly been here, blight has thrived. Farmers' crops have suffered, as well as the allotmenteers' spuds.
                    My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
                    Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X