No announcement yet.

Kalette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you want to search "Petit Posy" when you have ordered "Kalettes"...............idiots.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post

I shall shop elsewhere in future. I can't support a company with these ethics.
      To be fair you've given them more chances than you could shake a stick at ( every pun intended ). Welcome to the never shopping there again club

Comment

I am also in this club VC, you are more than welcome!

I notice T&M have not responded to this thread either. Where is your pointy stick?!
        Last edited by vixylix; 19-04-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Update: I've got seven plants, four of which are completely purple, two of which have purple-tinged green leaves and a purple stem, and one of which has green leaves and a greenish stem. The burgeoning kalettes on all of them are the same purple.

Comment

Cariann88 has started a thread on cooking kalettes, which reminded me I need to update this thread: the kalettes I've grown all look rubbish. Leathery little floppy things. I could try shredding and stir frying them, but I suspect it's more effort than they deserve.

I won't be growing them again... As a point of comparison, my sprouts have done quite well.

Comment

Only just catching up on this interesting thread - but sowing recommended Feb/March so timing OK. I first saw "Kalettes" a year ago in the poshest of our local farm shops, quite expensive, didn't bother. But might try growing them this year for local kale fans (can't see them getting on the village show-bench, we've only just introduced "squashes" and what would you judge?) But about this time last year Ross Geach (columnist, former chef with Rick Stein, farmer in Cornwall) wrote articles praising them as the "new British Superfood" - but as he'd grown NINE THOUSAND of them I guess he would! His explanation of the "three varieties mix" mystery was it extended the cropping season from October through to February. His cooking suggestion (but he was a chef) is to boil for 3 mins, drain/cool whilst grilling bacon (pancetta) and then fry the kalettes, serving the pancetta atop. If you want the complicated version (that version's too complicated for me) it's at
              How to grow (and eat) kalettes, a British superfood | The Telegraph

Comment

I will be having some of these with sunday lunch (Lidel) and have seeds to sow next month! we like them the only thing that concerns me is we seem to get loads of white fly on our alotment !
                Last edited by Dalrimple; 26-01-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

The ones I pan fried in butter was delicious. I will be growing these again this year. They have done well on the plot.
                  Carrie

Comment

Do you remember my disagreement with T&M about sending me Petit Posy seeds when I'd ordered Kalettes, an there being no mention on their website that they were the same thing! (Read back).
                    This is T&M's current description
                    Kalettes® Garden Mix F1
                    Brassica oleracea
                    Kalette. Flower sprout®

A result of 15 years of British breeding; a cross between the Kale and Brussels Sprouts species producing 'rosettes' of loose frilly edged buttons on a long stalk, in purples, greens and bicoloured leaves. Also known as 'Kalettes'. However, the flavour and nutritional content of Brassica Petit Posy™ is akin to spring greens rather than Brussels sprouts - perfect for those who don't enjoy sprouts

They've slipped in "Petit Posy" but why couldn't they say "aka Kalettes, Flower Sprout and Petit Posy".
                    You can't trust some people.

Comment

I've sown some in a seed tray when would they be safe to plant out? Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X