No announcement yet.

What Is Your GYO Downfall?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant replies................so this year we are all gonna have a fantastic growing season............Yes?
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Seems last year was a warmer year due to the Elnenio(sp) effect and this year will be cooler. So I think my greenhouse might do well and the raised beds not far behind, but fantastic might be stretching it a bit lol

Comment

Successional sowing and weeding

I always have good intentions then fail.

Comment

Of late! Not having the time to persecute the idea's I have.

A time management thing I need to get a grip on!

Carrot's! Carrot's! Cheers Nicos!

I will grow a good size carrot this year, I promise!
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

My biggest vice is leaving it too late to stake plants - both flowers and veg. I seem to have a mental block about it, every year I forget until I've already lost some plants to the wind.

I'll probably do the same thing this year no doubt.

Comment

My big problem is an inability to throw away an old plant that might still produce something. I cut off a lettuce and leave it under the lights for a couple of days, then see it starting to regrow and leave it there in case it produces something edible. I buy new strawberry plants because I know you are supposed to throw away the old ones when they get to 3 years old. So I now have some that are 6 years old and yesterday I trimmed off the dead leaves and thought they looked ok so I would give them 1 more year... Then I struggle to find space for the new ones I bought

I do the same with flowers, and then when I do finally get rid of the winter bedding its far too late to plant the summer stuff or everywhere has sold out

My windowsills currently contain 6 tomato plants of which 3 are cut off and clearly dead and 3 have straggly growth with mini green tomatoes on them. Experience tells me that these tomatoes are extremely unlikely to produce anything much worth eating, but I leave them anyway, just in case. There are also 3 pepper plants one of which still has a small orange pepper on, the other 2 have been cut down. I know I will need the space for new plants next year, but...
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Like many I grew everything that sprouted, not staggering over weeks/months (all at once), weeding (special membrane this year), not enough feeding.

I do label in groups but I do draw up plans which works well. I use sticks to mark boundaries.

Comment

Can't grow rhubarb. That takes some skill...

Would only be beaten by an inability to grow mint.

Oh!
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Mine seem similar to everyone else. planting things in a mass seed sow rather than sowing things in batches, not enough weeding, not enough feeding, spacing things too close. A complete inability to throw away a healthy plant even if I have nowhere for it, buying plants with no actual plan for them.
                    Sowing way more varieties than I have room for is something I do every year which may tie into spacing everything too close.
                    Im bad for not pruning fruit bushes either.
                    Looking at this Im amazed I grow anything!

Comment

Mine is an inability to get direct sown veg. to germinate, especially roots.

Comment

Continually buying seeds and then being disappointed when I can't find room to fit them in.

Or being too eager to direct sow, this year must ensure the ground is properly warmed up before I sow carrots!
                        https://roosorganicallotment.wordpress.com/
                        Growing by trial and error in Kent

Comment

Eyes bigger than my plot! And unable to get lettuce seeds to germinate grrrrr!

Comment

The simple inability to grow radishes

Comment

last year it as lettuce seeds they just didn't germinate and my sprout seedling snuffed it and I had to buy plants!!! And what rubbish results they gave me, sowing twice as many sprouts this year 2 weeks apart so I have spares.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by GardenGayle View Post
                                Mine seem similar to everyone else. planting things in a mass seed sow rather than sowing things in batches, not enough weeding, not enough feeding, spacing things too close. A complete inability to throw away a healthy plant even if I have nowhere for it, buying plants with no actual plan for them.
                                Sowing way more varieties than I have room for is something I do every year which may tie into spacing everything too close.
                                Im bad for not pruning fruit bushes either.
                                Looking at this Im amazed I grow anything!
                                GG, I think you're me!
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X