Decimated potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decimated potatoes

Bah!! My Swift potatoes have been decimated by what I assume is slugs and snails! I had 5 plants all looking good and healthy....there is pretty much nowt left now. Two plants have a bit of stalk still but thats pretty much it. The King Edwards have not been touched! Do you think there is much point in waiting to see if there's anything left under there, or just cut my losses and plant something else? Am not desperate for space yet so can afford to hang on for a bit...
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Tatties can be robust, if you can wait, give them a week to see what happens

Comment

When did you plant them? As the name suggests, swift are one of the fastest of the 1st early varieties to crop. Can be ready to harvest in as little as 10 weeks. I was just wondering if they had died back & were ready to harvest.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

They were planted mid-March so I'm assuming that's not enough time for things to be big enough to eat Definitely not die back as a couple of days previous they were lush and green! Perhaps I should have a look under the soil?

Comment

Have a little furtle and if nothing, carry on tending them as normal as they are likely to resprout, as Burnie says. You'll just have to wait longer for a harvest, that's all.

Comment

Mid March?.....well, that's 9 weeks-you may well have some baby spuds waiting for you!
            Do let us know...it's always a relief to hear a good ending

*tries not to jinx the outcome by saying that!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Had a bit of a furtle as suggested but found nothing (other than putting my hand right into the middle of the very squishy seed potato - unpleasant!!!). So will leave then a couple more weeks and see if anything comes up. the slugs have been pelletted need less to say (organic pellets...)

Comment

When I used to grow Swift the earliest I had some was 8 weeks so I am surprised you have nothing, I'd leave them another couple of weeks just to see.

And I do agree its not nice to put your dinkies in an old seed spud.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X