Tomato - Tumbling Tom Care

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato - Tumbling Tom Care

Hi everyone. I have a couple of tomatoes. Variety, Tumbling Tom. They are both in hanging baskets. They are growing well and are producing side shoots from the arms of the leaves just as cordon varieties do.

My main query here is....

Do I nip out the side shoots just like I would for say my moneymaker cordon variety? I am thinking that because the Tumbling Tom is a bush type hanging basket jobby that I shouldn't do that.

Speedy help appreciated before they go too far.

Kind Regards..........Rob

They're bush tomatoes and don't need sideshooting.
    This may interest you - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oes_58987.html

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      They're bush tomatoes and don't need sideshooting.
      This may interest you - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oes_58987.html
      Thanks Veggiechicken. When you say they don't need side shooting, I'm a bit of a beginner. Do you mean they don't need side shoots so I should nip them out?

Regards..... Rob

Comment

Side shooting means removing the side shoots. You do this with cordon tomatoes (also known as Vine or Indeterminate). They grow tall!

Bush aka Determinate tomatoes don't need sideshooting. Each of their sideshoots will flower & fruit so removing them would also reduce the number of tomatoes the plant would produce.

Clear as mud!!

Comment

I have grown the original Tumbler for years because I prefer the flavour, but it is a very similar plant. Let your plants bush out, at this time in the season do not remove any plant material. In two weeks or so have a look at how tall the main stem is, if it is still growing and there are plenty of side shoots nip out the main stem bud/growing point. This will have the effect of producing even more side shoots lower down the plant, these will grow to hang over the side of your basket, properly fed and watered you will get a load of fruit.

In this very warm weather we are having at the moment check you baskets at least once a day, you don't want them to dry out.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
            I have grown the original Tumbler for years because I prefer the flavour, but it is a very similar plant. Let your plants bush out, at this time in the season do not remove any plant material. In two weeks or so have a look at how tall the main stem is, if it is still growing and there are plenty of side shoots nip out the main stem bud/growing point. This will have the effect of producing even more side shoots lower down the plant, these will grow to hang over the side of your basket, properly fed and watered you will get a load of fruit.

In this very warm weather we are having at the moment check you baskets at least once a day, you don't want them to dry out.
            Mine are about 14 inch tall and just reached the bit in the basket that's hooks onto the bracket. Should I nip out the growing tip now do you think?

Regards.......Rob

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Side shooting means removing the side shoots. You do this with cordon tomatoes (also known as Vine or Indeterminate). They grow tall!

Bush aka Determinate tomatoes don't need sideshooting. Each of their sideshoots will flower & fruit so removing them would also reduce the number of tomatoes the plant would produce.

Clear as mud!!
              Righty ho. Many thanks

Comment

I have 3 of these in baskets, I found one clear leader shoot on one of them and pinched it out, I was told these can and do grow up rather than "tumble" on occasions.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumbling tom red.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2372771
                  This is my largest(without the tip removed), this seems to be showing signs of weeping over, if any shoots look like they are reaching for the sky I will try training them by attaching a bit of soft string and add a weight to it.

Comment

#97 If the leader is that tall then I would nip it out, the plant is wasting energy producing it.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

These are my just like Burnie hanging in the GH for the time being. All these have now had the growing tips pinched out and are coming nicely into flower.
                      Attached Files

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Am I ok feeding with Manure Tea?

Regards......Rob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X