Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using weed killer for the first time

Hi all
    I have never used weed killer before and need to know if there are any do's and don't s as it's all a bit scary to be honest.
    I'm intending to use it on couch grass as I am sick to death of digging it up( clearly without success) and would like to hear how others have got on. Hopefully once cleared, I will be using some raised beds. Any tips on how to use it (I have a sprayer) would be appreciated. The stuff I have is apparently for use on allotments and has no Glysophate.
    Cheers !

Make sure there is plenty of growth so the plant can absorb the weed killer. Choose a dry and still day to do the deed. Make sure the mix is correct.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

What exactly is the weedkiller you've got?

There should be instructions on the container.

I would be inclined to water it on. Last thing you want is spray drift. Make sure you mark the can or get a red one and keep it specifically for weedkiller.
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I am interested to know the ingredients, couch grass is normally the lesser of the evils as it is shallow rooting but hard to kill. I would also water it on rather than spray

Comment

If you find it scary, don't use it. I wouldn't.

Comment

Read the instructions, understand the instructions.

Be mindful of the environmental hazards on the label.

Weed killer kills everything green, that means flowers, veg, lawns, and other people's plants.

Do wash your hands after using.

And remember.... if you apply more weedkiller than recommended, it does NOT mean it will work more.
            You are just wasting money and damaging the enviroment.

Finally... read the instructions again.

Any questions.?
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

And don't walk across a freshly sprayed area, you could carry it on your boots.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Ditto the above plus some Glysophate is soaked into the plant and down to the roots where it does it's business. It can take a while, sometimes weeks, to see the effects but it does kill top and bottom. This can make you feel it hasn't worked.

Some other types of weed killer just affect the leaves, killing them off but leaving the roots - fine for annual weeds but less effective on established perennials. You can sometimes see the effect in a matter of hours. Unfortunately later on the still living roots can send up new shoots.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

As far as I know the only weedkillers available to the genereal public are Glyphosate or Sodium Chlorate? I'm not a fan of any weedkiller but Glyphosate is systemic and is claimed not to cause any problems to follow on crops.
                  Sodium chlorate is persistant in the soil and would pollute the soil for a full season at least.

I would be interested to know what you have and what its active ingredient is?

Through Risk Assessments and COSHH assessments even professionals have just about stopped using the active ingredients listed above.

The organic way is to either dig weeds out, smother them, use a scrubbing machine on path weeds or use a vinegar based weedkiller. As this only kills top growth it needs to be applied a couple of times during the year.

Even proffesionals must explore all alternativesa and look for an organic way of dealing with weeds BEFORE resorting to weedkiller.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Diquat Dibromide is a contact weedkiller which will kill off the leaves but not the roots. It's used in a certain 24hr weed killer in combination with Glyphosate so the Glyposate does the hard work and the Diquat makes it looks good.

Not sure how it is residually and how long it stays in the soil.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      As far as I know the only weedkillers available to the genereal public are Glyphosate or Sodium Chlorate? .....
                      Sodium Chlorate banned since 2010 as when mixed with sugar it could be used to blow weeds from soil!
                      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                        Diquat Dibromide is a contact weedkiller which will kill off the leaves but not the roots. It's used in a certain 24hr weed killer in combination with Glyphosate so the Glyposate does the hard work and the Diquat makes it looks good.

Not sure how it is residually and how long it stays in the soil.
                        Diquat and Glyphosate is a very potent mix. Whereas Glyphosate supposedly becomes inert in contact wih the soil, the Diquat portion doesn't and the weedkiller 'creeps' from where it was applied. It is residual and can be toxic for years. Horrible stuff! I have used it many years ago (never again) and can't understand why it hasn't been banned.
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                          Sodium Chlorate banned since 2010 as when mixed with sugar it could be used to blow weeds from soil!

Glad to hear that!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Glyphosate seems to have no effect on mares tail. However stepping in the run off from the can and then walking along the edge of my lawn caused brown patches! I told the wife it was due to the recent dry spell.
                            Jimmy
                            Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X