No announcement yet.

Garlic crop rotting away!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust on alliums isn't the end of the world. It slows the plants down a bit, reducing the yield, but it doesn't kill them. Keep the plants watered and fed so that they can fight the illnes as well as possible. Enhoy your holiday, lmayhow!
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
      I've given up growing Garlic, Onions and Leeks because of whiterot.
      Wandering slightly off topic, I'm growing Golden Bear onions from seed this year because they're said to be resistant to white rot.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Wandering even further off topic, "resistance" doesn't mean "immune". I grew Crimson Crush tomatoes at my allotment last year (and the year before) because they're "resistant" to blight. Not on my allotment. They all failed. The plants didn't die of blight but the fruit were all infected.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
          Wandering slightly off topic, I'm growing Golden Bear onions from seed this year because they're said to be resistant to white rot.
          I tried them one year and was impressed,
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just found that my over wintered onions have been hit by white rot. I have harvested a bed and have had to bin about 30% the rest are drying in my extension to the shed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-07 Extension to Shed 01 Banner 2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2372987

I was hoping that I was not going to have a problem on the new allotment, it appears that most people on the plot today are also having a problem with white rot, usually they get away with it on this site so what has changed?
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
              it appears that most people on the plot today are also having a problem with white rot, usually they get away with it on this site so what has changed?
              I wonder that too. Most gardening books say white rot is uncommon, not in my neck of the woods it isn't nor on my daughters plot on the other side of town.

Pity about your onions Cads, I know how you must be feeling but for me that would be a decent result.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

just reading through this one on onion white rot

https://horticulture.ahdb.org.uk/oni...ting-white-rot

edit : a couple more

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...%20rot&f=false

https://link.springer.com/article/10...658-004-1420-0
                Last edited by Jay-ell; 11-06-2017, 11:36 AM.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                  Just found that my over wintered onions have been hit by white rot. I have harvested a bed and have had to bin about 30% the rest are drying in my extension to the shed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74095[/ATTACH]

I was hoping that I was not going to have a problem on the new allotment, it appears that most people on the plot today are also having a problem with white rot, usually they get away with it on this site so what has changed?
                  The most obvious answer to what has changed is that someone has brought the disease into the plot, either on infected plants or on their boots. Once there it will spread.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

can it be spread from onion sets and garlic cloves?
                    atb Dal

Comment

can it be spread from onion sets and garlic cloves? my garlic was looking a bit yellow yesterday i'll have to check em out when I go up the lottie tomorrow
                      atb Dal

Comment

If you plant an infected set or garlic clove then the fungus will spread. It doesn't spread through spore but produces fruiting bodies under ground the name of which eludes me but even if I remembered I couldn't spell it anyway (starts with an S)

These fruiting bodies can be carried from bed to bed on shoes, tools, hands, bits of mud, etc and can remain dormant for at least 15 years until awakened by chemicals given off by alliums.

Once awakened they send out their threads which when it finds an allium infects it and the cycle starts again.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X