Onions make me cry

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions make me cry

Popped over the plots today before the rain set in and my onions made me cry, both red and white are bolting...nearly all of them spent 30 minutes removing the flower spikes.

I will make use of some of them as spring onions but I have a question about the others that will remain.

I know they wont store but are they still suitable for slicing and freezing? Or should I cut my loses and use the space for something more productive?
    Last edited by Greenleaves; 05-06-2017, 06:21 PM.

I'm still going through the ones that bolted and got frozen from last year. Most welcome when I used the last of the string.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I'm trying from seed this year as I too have had poor results from sets including French shallots as well, my soil is just too thin for them, but this year they're in a raised bed so here's hoping. As has been said, don't bin them just yet.

Comment

If I get a bolter I cut of the stem, harvest when a decent size, slice and freeze, perfectly good for cooking.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Agree with Potty - ok for freezing. I too am trying from seed - Ailsa Craig
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

My red baron were bolting too, pulled off flower spikes.. any other special treatment?

Comment

I've always found set to bolt if I try them again it will be heat treated sets

But this year I'm growing zebrune banana shallots from seed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X