No announcement yet.

Seed Tray and Seed cells

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate pricking out seeds, obviously super tiny seeds cant be sown singly so those get a pinch per smalll pot. Herbs, such as chives, basil parsley I use lots of so I use very large pots and sow liberally - they don't get pricked out at all. I use a pot and then give it a rest while using another.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	2372986
    Chillies and tomatoes get sown singly in modules. Lettuce gets two seeds per module, kale, broccoli, chard - one (or two if I slip up) beans, courgettes, cues get sown individually in a small pot.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	2372985

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
      If you didn't need them why did you buy them?
      When I buy some things I often have to explain to the wife it's not a case of needing them more a case of wanting them. She has trouble understanding this.
      Jimmy
      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

So are you saying you prefer to u a pinch of small seeds in a small pot such as thai basil etc rather than use a cell. and would it be easier to grow Spring Onions this way 2.

Or can you grow them in cells but put a tiny pinch per cell and when they grow move them to a small pot then group a few together into a larger pot etc

Which method is best

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
          Thanks some years are better than others and unfortunately sometimes they get hit by white rot

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74075[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74076[/ATTACH]
          Now you're just showing off. What's your secret? Do tell...

Comment

I have drawn around a vending machine cup and drawn how I sow and they are actually between 10-15mm apart, growing in a bunch works but you have to give them some growing room.

Name:	Spring Onions in a Vending Machine Cup.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2372994

The beauty of gardening is you can try both and see which one works best for YOU!
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Yasai View Post
              Now you're just showing off. What's your secret? Do tell...
              Sow the seeds water them and transfer out when a reasonable size, job done !
              sigpic
              . .......Man Vs Slug
              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Thanks alot

I guess I will try to space them abit in tiny pots and cells ,

If I have inadvertly put the seeds 2 close I guess I can thin out

Do you keep your pots and cells inside ?

How often do you water or if top is dry u water

Thanks once again

Comment

I have a spacesaver greenhouse in the back garden as I don't have room for a full greenhouse.

Name:	Space Saver Greenhouse.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2372996

That gives you three shelves which will hold 18 trays and you can add another 6 on the floor. I water when they are drying out and once established I water from the bottom to encourage the roots to go to the bottom of the vending machine cups to find the water. It also stops you getting a green crust on the surface.

I remove one vending machine cup and add water until it comes up a few mm in all the trays or sometimes have a tray with a lot of water in or a comfrey tea feed for more established plants and move the vending machine cups into that tray and leave it for a while then put them back and do the next tray.

It depends on how much time I have and if its a water of a feed.

Here is a link to videos of View from my Green House Door https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...axtcXhL7q9cQtr
                  Last edited by Cadalot; 08-06-2017, 05:28 AM.
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

I see can you add water to a saucer and put a pot on it and leave it for 20 minutes , I may do a combination of bottom watering and delicate watering on the top as I kinda confused what is the best method.

I do have seaweed fertlizer which I would like to use when the plants are more established.

As my Radishes have sprouted but small I guess I can use my seaweed fertlizer very delicately from the top

Do you thin out when you grow in cells and vending cups

Also if you dont have a vending machine shall I keep the pots inside , Can spring onions be grown all year round and come back year after year like baby leeks

Comment

Best thing you can do is try both and perhaps mix and match as required. I tend not to over sow but if germination is bad I have sown three beetroots and then thinned the weaker ones out.

I think you mean greenhouse LOL and nope on the Spring Onion front, I have tried over wintering but they just became slug food. There is a thread on here about trying to grow onions all year round somewhere.
                      sigpic
                      . .......Man Vs Slug
                      Nutters Club Member

Comment

sorry for the typo its early in the morning so forgive me hahaah

I guess I just need to try and see report back if I ahve any difficulties

Thanks for all your help

Comment

How are you growing your leeks to get them to come back after you've harvested them? Leeks and spring onions are generally annuals. You harvest the plant and that's it - neither usually grows back if harvested the regular way.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Spring Onion Experiment

Jay-ell

Results of my Spring Onion Experiment

15th April three shop bought spring onions cut off and re planted

Name:	2017-04-15 Spring Onion Experiment.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2372997

Photo below on the 8th May

Name:	2017-05-08 Spring Onion Experiment.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2372998

So if not pulled but cut off near the roots they grow again!
                            sigpic
                            . .......Man Vs Slug
                            Nutters Club Member

Comment

I did say "the regular way" - just though going on about perennialising leeks and onions at this stage might confuse Tarragon a bit at this stage so I asked how he was doing it at the moment before going into it.

I'm doing it the easy way with Welsh and Egyptian onions

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I did say "the regular way" - just though going on about perennialising leeks and onions at this stage might confuse Tarragon a bit at this stage so I asked how he was doing it at the moment before going into it.

I'm doing it the easy way with Welsh and Egyptian onions

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X