Broken the rules?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken the rules?

So, how have you broken the "rules" of vegetable gardening?

What have you grown that has produced a great crop when, according to the books, it should have failed?

Inspire us with your subversive ways!

Oh, and I'm very subversive...

I have a north facing garden with lots of shade and shouldn't be able to grow anything whatsoever...

Comment

Hehe, I wouldnt have a clue whether I've broken the rules or not to be honest! But I did plant my broccolli and cauli way way WAY too close together (maybe 6inches between stems) but got a fantastic crop from both.
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I'm constantly breaking them rules, plant things too close but still get a good crop, my sweetcorn is now somewhere beneath my climbing beans and sweet peas. I work on the premise of survival of the species, if it's still there come harvest it gets planted again next year. No time for wuss veg in a small garden.
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Yep, it's planting distances with me too. Unless I'm only going to grow three or four crops I've got to pack 'em in. If the soil's in good heart you usually get away with it but a few things end up taller and thinner than nature intended.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Cutecumber, in our case Brandywine tomatoes. I'm sorry, but OH is in charge of tomato growing, and I understand that Brandywine should have side shoots removed. (Sorry, I'm not sure whether that means they are determinate or indeterminate).

Anyway, OH has gone on to US sites for growing this variety, and they reckon that you should just let them grow, no shoots removed.

Since following this advice, we have had fantastic crops of Brandywine tomatoes.

valmarg

Comment

I always break the rule of planting distances, but they produce very well, My red kuri winter squash vine were 40 cm apart but they produce loads, my corgettes were only 65cm apart and they produce loads, the same with brassicas, Chards... I think the key is to provide them
              with continuous optimum nutrient, water( now is too much) & sun shine. the rest, let the plant decide by them self.

Momol
              I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

We are the same as momol....and reduce planting distances!
                Less room for weeds- more chance of disease-smaller crops ( well in my case)- more tricky to access...hmmmm...not so sure if it really is such a good idea, but what the heck ( can't stand weeding!!!)
                Last edited by Nicos; 10-08-2007, 07:42 AM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Corriander and watercress growing like mad- through winter in a cold greenhouse!

Comment

Good stuff everyone!

I didn't know that you couldn't grow cauliflowers in small pots until I read it in a book. The cauliflowers had already been harvested, of course

Comment

I have igloo caulis in small pots now so we shall see ...... !!
                      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                        Good stuff everyone!

I didn't know that you couldn't grow cauliflowers in small pots until I read it in a book. The cauliflowers had already been harvested, of course
                        Could I just ask how small a pot we are talking? I haven't got anywhere to plant my caulis and this might just be the answer!
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

I grow a good size (summer, quick growing) cauliflower in a pot which is roughly 10 inches diameter, 12 inches deep.

I have managed four in a square pot which is 45cm diameter - but they gave small heads. Two in this same pot this year worked fine.

Clearly you still need a rich and moisture retentive growing media, and regular watering and feeding. I use a mixture of garden compost and organic peat-free compost, to which I add a balanced organic fertiliser and coarse grade seaweed for added moisture retention. I throw in some calcified seaweed to keep the pH on the alkaline side. This year, I have been mulching with strulch and it has been very effective against rootfly and moisture loss.

I have grown Idol, Candid Charm and Freedom caulis in this way. The last two gave the heaviest heads, but idol can be grown very closely spaced.

One good thing for brassicas is that they are held very firmly in a container - which is what they like. You'll struggle to get the root out when you have cut the head off. I can't actually get my Kale stalks out of the pots they've grown in, I'll have to get the spade out. Another benefit is that you can easily get around the plant to see any pests - great for us non-spraying growers.

Comment

Thanks for that. Might just give a couple a try, I have a few All Year Round desperate for a space to grow on in.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

My thought Shirley was that if I didn't try I would get nothing, so at least I've got half a chance of a crop of sorts, if you see what I mean! My pots are around 12" x 12" and have four caulis in each. Even if the heads prove v small they should provide a meal each for OH and me. Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X