Blackfly all over broad bean pods

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackfly all over broad bean pods

So it's a fallacy that pinching the tops out prevents blackfly because the beggers are all over my stems and pods after doing just that. Ants too ! One solitary ladybird which gives a little hope but this clearly shouldn't be, especially as I have never had blackfly on broad beans until now. In fact I had an infestation on my nasturtiums last year. My pest problem just gets worse every year.

I have sprayed them with soapy garlic water.
    Last edited by Marb67; 09-06-2017, 07:46 PM.

Plenty of blackfly around at the moment http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...fly_93711.html

Comment

You are not alone Marb....just written mine off, still time to so again....mine will go in tomorrow

Comment

Lots on mine as well Marb I just keep squishing them
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've just harvested all my broad beans. Never had such a good crop.

Comment

No blackfly here, but no pods either.... tons of flowers, tons of bees, but nothing is setting.

Comment

At least some of you have pods, nothing here.
              Education is important, but motorbikes is importanter.

Comment

I sowed mine back in September as green manure because I'd got some old seed that I assumed had passed it (it said sow before 2012 on the packet).

Comment

I've never found pinching the tops off did any good in the long run. What I do is squish them, just like Bren in Pots. This year, I squished them every day when they first appeared and was careful to inspect every plant. I haven't had a single one for weeks now. Don't want to sound smug; just to say that squishing really does work. And if you catch them before they spread, it isn't too disgusting to do.

Comment

Am binning mine too Marb. Mine are really really awful. Covered in blackfly despite soapy sprays and many ladybird larvae. I might sow again, but then I am thinking about how many more squashes I could get in there instead...
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X