This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by damian1225 View Post
    Haha I hate gardening in my own garden, but love going to the allotment.. if I cant eat what Im growing I dont want to know lol grass and hedges are just a chore that stop me getting to my allotment
    Exactly
    When I say my garden, I mean my veggie garden. Not a fan of mowing, strimming & hedges at home either. But at least I get to appreciate my hard work afterwards. Unlike work because you leave when it all looks good and it all looks cr@p when you turn up again the next week

Comment

• Weekend jobs

Wait for rain to stop

At my friend's
      Tie in greenhouse tomatoes, remove sideshoots.
      Rearrange potato buckets to make room for broccoli
      Find and put up a suitable net for broccoli
      Plant out broccoli
      Weeding
      Talk nicely to and generally pamper melon plant which has produced a female flower, which I have attempted to pollinate.
      Harvest cucumber

At home
      Rearrange grow light garden
      Plant out french beans and pot up dwarf runners for the fence
      Check tomatoes, tie in and remove sideshoots
      Deadheading and weeding
      Trim more strawberries
      Get rid of old calabrese plant
      Mow front lawn if dry enough
      Check gooseberry, courgettes, beans, blueberries to see if they are ready
      Harvest tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, strawberries, white currants.

On Gardeners World Monty Don made a comment about looking at a plant and deciding if you really like it - if not, get rid of it. I could do with doing some of that, particularly with regard to that calabrese plant, some very old strawberry plants and some of the herbs which are getting old and pot bound and I nearly never use. I need to be in a destructive mood though, and those are quite rare.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Weekend jobs

Wait for rain to stop

At my friend's
        Tie in greenhouse tomatoes, remove sideshoots. done
        Rearrange potato buckets to make room for broccoli - done
        Find and put up a suitable net for broccoli - done
        Plant out broccoli - done
        Weeding - done some
        Talk nicely to and generally pamper melon plant which has produced a female flower, which I have attempted to pollinate -
        Harvest cucumber - done

At home
        Rearrange grow light garden - done
        Plant out french beans - done
        pot up dwarf runners for the fence - not yet
        Check tomatoes, tie in and remove sideshoots - done for now
        Deadheading and weeding - done some
        Trim more strawberries - done some
        Get rid of old calabrese plant - done!
        Mow front lawn if dry enough - no
        Check gooseberry, courgettes, beans, blueberries to see if they are ready - not yet
        Harvest tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, strawberries, white currants. - done some

Monday jobs
        Cut front hedge while it is dry
        cut front lawn while it is dry.
        Harvest salads, tomatoes, baby beetroot, possibly cabbage, white currants
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Tomatoes - DONE
          Feeding - not done

Comment

• Monday jobs
            Cut front hedge while it is dry - done, rubbish taken to tip
            cut front lawn while it is dry - done
            Harvested lettuce, cucumber, microgreens, tomatoes, pepper, baby beetroot, beans, peas.
            Loads of watering done

Tuesday jobs
            Assess rear lawn to see if needs cutting while dry
            Harvest bucket of Desiree potatoes that has died down
            Trim bits of acer that are overhanging the paths
            Deadheading and weeding
            Take some silene cuttings to go on fence later
            Harvest tomatoes, salads, peas and possibly cabbage, carrots.
            loads of watering
            Last edited by Penellype; 17-07-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Today's jobs
              Make strawberry jam from the yellow stickered Pimms kit
              Clean chickens' kennel
              Do summat with Komatsuna
              Start sweet peas - see if I can grow more before winter

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Today's jobs
                Make strawberry jam from the yellow stickered Pimms kit DONE but I don't think it'll set
                Clean chickens' kennel DONE - found red mite. Dealing with that took up most of the day
                Do summat with Komatsuna PART DONE - emptied the supermarket trolley ready to plant up.
                Start sweet peas - see if I can grow more before winter 175 seeds from 2014 & 2015 placed on damp vermiculite - see if they're viable!
                TOMORROW - Wednesday
                Go to farm store for Red Mite treatments and Layers pellets
                Dust chooks
                Rebuild their kennel and treat for mites.
                Do summat more with Komatsuna

Comment

• Tuesday jobs
                  Assess rear lawn to see if needs cutting while dry - lawn cut
                  Harvest bucket of Desiree potatoes that has died down - done, very disappointing 0.5kg potatoes, unheard of for Desiree. I have a feeling that the 3 buckets that are dying down first missed out on the bfb when I planted them - it is the only explanation for the difference in performance between these plants and the 4ft high and still very green 3 buckets planted just 1 week later.
                  Trim bits of acer that are overhanging the paths - done
                  Deadheading and weeding - done some
                  Take some silene cuttings to go on fence later - done, not good at cuttings, hopefully they will root.
                  Harvest tomatoes, salads, peas and possibly cabbage, carrots - done tomatoes and salads, and also finished the white currants.
                  loads of watering - done

Wednesday's jobs (weather permitting)
                  Collect rain water if available
                  Get bag of compost from garden centre
                  Pot up dwarf runner beans which were meant for the fence but only 3 of the 6 have germinated, which is not a good number (irritating as they are new seeds).
                  Find somewhere sensible to put the above beans.
                  Cut down a couple of tomato plants in the sitting room that have finished fruiting.
                  Harvest tomatoes, salads, peppers, peas, strawberries, the odd blueberry and possibly beans, carrots and cabbage (if I am not too hot to cook).
                  Watering if required
                  Last edited by Penellype; 19-07-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• Wednesday's jobs
                    Collect rain water if available - no rain
                    Get bag of compost from garden centre - done
                    Pot up dwarf runner beans which were meant for the fence but only 3 of the 6 have germinated, which is not a good number (irritating as they are new seeds) - done
                    Find somewhere sensible to put the above beans - done
                    Cut down a couple of tomato plants in the sitting room that have finished fruiting - done
                    Harvest tomatoes, salads, peppers, peas, strawberries, the odd blueberry and possibly beans, carrots and cabbage (if I am not too hot to cook) - done salads, tomatoes, cucumber, peas and fruit.
                    Watering if required - done

Nothing today - Thursdays are usually hectic even without the morning rain

Comment

• What I intended to do today:

Weed and thin swedes. DONE
                      Weed tomatoes. DONE
                      Mow paths. Ha.

What I intend to do tomorrow:
                      Weed under the beans and plant out cosmos (probably too late!)
                      Dig up some potatoes and set up supports for peas.

Comment

• Friday's jobs
                        Weeding and deadheading
                        Check tomatoes and remove any sideshoots
                        Apply slug nematodes (not if too sunny)
                        Planning for next pot shuffle
                        Planning for August
                        Wash and put away some plant pots and labels
                        Harvest tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, peppers, possibly cabbage
                        Check peas, courgettes, potatoes, strawberries and blueberries and harvest if ready
                        Last edited by Penellype; 21-07-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Today:
                          Weed under the beans and plant out cosmos (probably too late!) - DONE
                          Dig up some potatoes and set up supports for peas - DONE
                          Also:
                          Tied in some tromboncinos
                          Weeded the sweetcorn
                          Did something rude and disgusting with the male and female flowers on my pumpkins
                          Hoed the parsnips
                          Mulched the swedes with grass clippings
                          Decided to have a go making a weed-based liquid feed as I suddenly had a lidded tub available. Stuffed it with borage, comfrey and sundry weeds, topped it with water and popped the lid on.
                          Cut some sweet peas and courgettes to add to the potatoes, and took to a friend who is helping me with an e-mail problem.

Comment

• What I intend to do tomorrow (or whenever I next get to the plot)
                            Weed and feed maincrop potatoes
                            Weed the beetle bank, attempting to rescue the flowers getting swamped there.
                            Rescue the raspberries
                            Weed the onions.

Some of those are big jobs, so I'll decide which one to tackle on the day...

Comment

• Friday's jobs

Work rather intervened today and I didn't get much done.

Weeding and deadheading - done some
                              Check tomatoes and remove any sideshoots - done
                              Apply slug nematodes (not if too sunny) - done
                              Planning for next pot shuffle - not done
                              Planning for August - not done
                              Wash and put away some plant pots and labels - not done
                              Harvest tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, peppers, possibly cabbage done all but cabbage and peppers
                              Check peas, courgettes, potatoes, strawberries and blueberries and harvest if ready - done peas, strawberries, blueberries and 2 small gooseberries, plus a good handful of mixed beans (Sonesta, Purple Teepee and Hestia).
                              Also did some watering as there has been a lot less rain than forecast.

Jobs for the weekend - weather forecast appalling

At my friend's
                              Tie in greenhouse tomatoes and remove sideshoots and probably stop some of them as they have reached the ridge.
                              Weeding if possible
                              Harvest cucumbers, tomatoes

At home
                              Collect rain water for blueberries
                              Planning for next pot shuffle
                              Planning for August
                              Wash and put away some plant pots and labels
                              Harvest tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, courgettes, peas, possibly cabbage
                              Snail hunt if wet

Comment

• Jobs for the weekend

At my friend's
                                Tie in greenhouse tomatoes and remove sideshoots and probably stop some of them as they have reached the ridge - done some
                                Weeding if possible - done some
                                Harvest cucumbers, tomatoes - done

At home
                                Collect rain water for blueberries - in progress
                                Planning for next pot shuffle - done
                                Planning for August - in progress
                                Wash and put away some plant pots and labels - not done
                                Harvest tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, courgettes, peas, possibly cabbage - done except cabbage
                                Snail hunt if wet - done

Also managed to remove the finished row of peas.

Monday's jobs (weather and work both likely to intervene)
                                Deadheading and weeding
                                wash plant pots and labels
                                Get rid of caterpillars on blueberry bush
                                Harvest salads, tomatoes, blueberries, possibly cabbage, carrots
                                Check beans, peas, courgettes, calabrese.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X