brassicas not heading up

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brassicas not heading up

only got my raised beds up and running mid last year.

in a mix of optimism, desire to experiment and desire to get something in the ground, I bought and planted some brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower and kale, all overwintering species) at the end of september. Not plugs but field grown established plants.

My thinking was I could see exactly how bad a scottish winter could be and if anything survived have some usable veg in the spring. They not only all survived but thrived, but now in june they have still not started growing heads, on the verge now of ripping it all out and giving it to my sisters chickens and while I still can planting some bought in summer harvest brassicas.

any advice, comments?

Stumped, not done that over wintering thing, sorry.

Comment

I planted a cauli in September 2015 and it only just formed a head in April this year...
      He-Pep!

Comment

I'll be interested to see what replies you get. How big were the plants when you bought them? If they were a fair size, it may be that the uprooting and transplanting process upset their growth pattern. Depending on the varieties, the kale and cabbages may never heart up but be loose leaf varieties or spring greens.
        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 14-06-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Cauliflowers can be prone to this especially Aalsmeer. I have had this from time to time but not on a regular basis.

do you know the varieties?

Comment

As Snoop Puss said. It all depends on the variety you bought and how big they were when they were uprooted and then planted again.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
              Cauliflowers can be prone to this especially Aalsmeer. I have had this from time to time but not on a regular basis.

do you know the varieties?
              Ha, my cauli was Aalsmeer!
              He-Pep!

Comment

A recommendation for a March-April cauli: Mystique.

Reliable, big head and fantastic flavour.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X