No announcement yet.

Allotments not worth it? !!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a bean counter point of view they arent worth it...

Ive got friends that spend more in a week down the pub than I spend all year at the allotment.

It all about the shinning successes amongst an ocean of failures.

Each year I lean a little more.

One of my big successes this year is growing a pumpkin out of a dalek filled with 6 month old horse manure.

Comment

One of my lemon trees has five lemons on it, just about ready to be picked!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Blackcurrants.

Vodka.

Hmm - it all starts to make sense

my new blog- "The Infusion Garden - its worth it... then you're dead"

Click image for larger version

Name:	fff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2373418
        Last edited by Baldy; 01-07-2017, 10:43 PM.
        sigpic
        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

When you have a garden, you have to maintain it, whether by mowing the lawn, pruning the roses or turning it over to fruit & veg. I prefer to eat raspberries than mow a lawn.
          I don't measure the food on my plate by food miles but by food steps. Bananas and lemons I buy but I will not buy an out of season tomato, strawberry or courgette. In fact I won't buy them in season either but rely on being able to grow my own. If I can't, I go without.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
            I'm not getting involved in the grammar and punctuation aspects of this - its far too silly for me... with that "I'm oot"
            Who called for the gra'ma police?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Well I have a plot and over the years it has produced well I should say. Each year the successes tend to outnumber the failures. This year my pea harvest is going well (previous years I've lost a lot to mice) as also onions, garlic tomatoes cabbage and cauli, french beans new potatoes courgettes, beetroot.
              Strawberries were doing good. Went to collect some more last week - and there were none, next day I caught sight of a pair of squirrels that have just moved into the neighbourhood. I went to check on the gooseberries and there were hardly any, I'd left it too late (I disturbed a blackbird that flew cackling away). Carrots don't look up to much yet but parsnips should be OK later. Red currants, blackcurrants and raspberries more or less take care of themselves (these are in a fruit cage I just finished - previous years, the blackbirds took most of the red currants but left me most of the raspberries and blackcurrants. Though the squirrels have been eating the raspberries lately. I'm just a bit worried what else they will turn their attention to. I have some french beans planted for drying that may be at risk and also the peas if they were to try them.

Comment

I see it like this

How much is an hours therapy? ( for arguments sake ) £20
                we all know it's been scientifically prooven that gardening is good therapy
                How much is an hours gym membership? ( anything from £1 to your full membership cost, because if you're like me you would only go once! )
                How much is an hour veg shopping?
                (The cost of the actual veg, the cost of getting there and back)
                You get to do all 3 of those things in your garden / allotment at the same time. As far as I'm concerned it's very worth it. It's bl@@dy priceless!

Comment

It'll take years for me to recoup the money I've spent on the plots because I wasn't a gardener when I started and I've bought a few things I don't need - along with many that are essential on my space (hello mattock and extending ratchet loppers!). In 5 years my spend is nearing £3k. But if I didn't have the plots, my shoe & cocktail habit would have cost me more than that. Horse riding costs me about £2k a year just for lessons. I make an increasing amount of profit in harvests per year on the overall spend, and we eat almost exclusively from the plots for a good bit of the year but then I wouldn't buy 7kg of redcurrants if I didn't grow them...

The learning & sharing is the most fun bit for me. That, growing stuff you can't buy and stealing all the peas.

As a proof-reader and a signed up member of the I Love Grammar & Punctuation Soc, your points were correct. They just weren't at all friendly. And this is a friendly forum, please be nice.
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Re "Allotments not worth it? !!!"

The big question is what's the definition of "worth"

Is it financial or something more valuable?

Jimmy
                    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                      With you 100% Snadger.....

Whats the cost of a gym membership?.........is pedantic easy to grow?
                      yer dead easy you just stick inbetween a couple of ,, lol ,, atb Dal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X