Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomato plants - leaves growing at the end of trusses - is this normal?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I have more plants than I needed (I did some extras in case any went bad for what ever reason, but none have) I have left some completely unpruned; side shoots and all. Until now that is, because they have grown so huge that I have had to trim them lightly to keep them manageable.

Anyhow, I'll be very interested to see how productive they are compared to the ones that have had all side shoots removed regularly.

As things stand now, ALL my plants have lots and lots of green tomatoes but none are starting to turn yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Max Dread View Post
      I'm growing four different varieties....

- Black cherry
      - Sungold
      - Red Alert
      - Gardener's Delight

I'll check them all over in a bit to see whether they're all doing it or just some.

Many thanks
      Because I have more plants than I needed (I did some extras in case any went bad for what ever reason, but none have) I have left some completely unpruned; side shoots and all. Until now that is, because they have grown so huge that I have had to trim them lightly to keep them manageable.

Anyhow, I'll be very interested to see how productive they are compared to the ones that have had all side shoots removed regularly.

As things stand now, ALL my plants have lots and lots of green tomatoes but none are starting to turn yet...
      Red Alert is a bush tomato and you don't need to trim the side shoots on that anyway.

Comment

Yes, I've left them well alone. It was one of each from the others that I've experimented with by not removing side shoots.

Whilst on the subject of the Red Alerts though, the company I bought the seed from said they did not need supports or staking. What rubbish that is! I'm having a real nightmare with them at the moment because no matter what I do to try and support the weight of all the fruit, the stems keep bending and breaking. That's the first thing on the to do list tomorrow morning (after taking the dogs out that is!). I've cut an old t-shirt into ribbon ties and am going to add more ties and hopefully stop any further damage.

But I could well be starting the green tomato chutney early this year if some of those broken stems are beyond it...

Comment

I am growing three varieties, Shirley, Roma and Gardeners Delight in Halos in Growbags in unheated greenhouse.
          I am getting side shoots from the trusses and the ends of leaves on Roma and Gardeners Delight as well as the side shoots in the leaf/stem angle.
          I have been chopping them all off.
          I have also noted with the Roma that the top growth has gone very curly, there is no pest evident, any ideas?

Comment

Tomatoes can go curly if they are growing strongly - some of mine are doing the same. I don't worry about it.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Would love you to update us on the results of this test. As a beginner I tend to assume that
              more leaf area = more energy for the plant = more energy it can use to create fruit with.

But many people seem (perhaps correctly) to think that idea wrong. Would be interested to hear of your results.

Comment

It'll be my pleasure to update as the season goes on... And in case I forget, feel free to remind me!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X