is this the best way

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this the best way

i have read this is the best way to get tomato seeds from your own toms can anyone shed any light on this IE if this is the best way or if theres another way
    "To get seeds from a tomato plant harvest a very ripe tomato off your best plant and scoop out the seeds, put them in a jar, half fill with water and leave at room temperature for two days. Not all the seeds will be good but luckily it will be easy to find out which ones are as they will sink to the bottom. Separate the seeds out and put the good ones onto a bit of kitchen roll (or Toilet paper if you are really skint). After most of the water has been absorbed stick them on a plate and dry outside in direct sunlight and let them dry out. The seeds can then be stored until next year in a margarine tub (cleaned) or a jar."

It's a well-tried method - but be prepared for some unpleasant mould in the jar! Yeuggh!

Tomato seeds survive most things - like the passage through our digestive system, for example! - so you can handle them quite roughly.

Comment

Sounds complicated. I do know that you are supposed to scoop the seeds out and clean them. However, some of the best germination rates from home saved tomatoes come from the dodgy fruit you chuck on the compost heap, or just fall onto the border and the seeds germinate the next year.

Comment

thanks will give it a try

Comment

I'm trying it this way for the first time. Usually I just pop the seeds onto kitchen roll and when they dry I roll it up and put it away with my 'shop' seeds. In spring I either scrape the seed off or cut the paper in little squares with a seed on each bit and plant the lot. I thought if I offered anyone seeds they might not like my ad hoc way of doing things and would prefer seeds that looked like bought ones. I've just put a jar of green zebra seeds on the kitchen windowsill.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X