No announcement yet.

Too late to sow the following?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume you were sowing them in modules not direct? Did you dig out the beans and see what they were like? If mine don't germinate its usually because they've gone mouldy & rotted. I always fail with some - sometimes all
    I'm not growing RBs this year, just Climbing French beans. The seeds are smaller and seem to be less fickle germinators.

Comment

Always had great success with RB until now. Scarlet Emperor has always been trusty. Tried in the ground, in pots and soaked in water and all faile bar one which is weak and sickly.

Comment

Never got a single Pickwick dwarf runner either in modules or the ground, just did nowt and rotted.

The Jackpot, Millionaire, Hestia, Scarlet Emperor and Gigantes germinated (last one not as high a percentage and the climbers were in the ground - the dwarfs in root trainers)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I've taken to soaking and chitting the runner beans having had a high failure rate when sowing in pots. I soak them over night in water then put them on damp kitchen paper in something like a butter dish or fruit tub. They usually start to develop a root within 2 or 3 days if they are going to, and once I can see them growing I plant them into compost. They can then take a few more days to appear above the soil, but I have not had one fail once it has started to grow. Just make sure that they don't dry out after soaking as that will kill them.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Well no germination so will try the rest of the packet in the hope of getting beans this summer. I can't believe I have had failure when they used to be so easy. A summer without beans to me is terrible

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X