Problems drying garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems drying garlic

Some of the garlic I harvested hasn't dried properly - the cloves are squishy and yellow instead of dry and white. What have I done wrong? They were dried in a potting shed in direct sunlight for part of the day and temps in there can get pretty hot, could that have been the problem? Or did I just not leave them for long enough?

You could have done what I did last year with my shallots. Left them out in the full sun to dry and the temperature shot up and cooked them.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

The other reason could be that you have a touch of white rot?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yes, you probably cooked 'em. They're supposed to be dried in an airy place out of direct sunlight.
        Last edited by Zelenina; 24-07-2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

I had the same thing: a few yellowish heads of 'glassy' cloves. I didn't spot them when gathering up the harvest and they cooked in the sun.
          Last edited by Snoop Puss; 24-07-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I did have some problems with white rot, but discarded the worst affected bulbs. Would that cause the problem I'm describing?

Otherwise it could be it was too hot for them. I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping drying them in the shed would be a good solution, my other half won't let me bring them in the house!

Comment

If they were in a patch of sunshine coming through the glass, then yes, it could be the reason.

As for the white rot, my impression is that it's quite a serious problem (I've not suffered from it, fortunately) and nigh on impossible to eradicate. So it could also be the reason. If you have a photo of the bulbs, somebody might be able to help by identifying it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X