Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second crop

I'm experimenting!
    Growing spuds in bags this year ( it seems to be going well ). I've harvested 2 bags so far.
    When harvesting I've cut the foliage back to about 6", emptied the bag onto a plastic sheet. Had a good rummage around for the spuds, then put all the compost back in the bag and re planted them.
    Will I get a second crop of spuds?
    The two I've already done are leafing up again nicely
    They are kestrel if that makes a difference.

You will have to give them some protection soon, in a polytunnel or greenhouse maybe

Comment

If they are leafing up again, i would say it is looking good for a second smaller crop!

I am also experimenting! The first few Charlotte earlies that i lifted still had the origional seed spud in good condition. I am chitting these.(I only have three as the later ones i lifted had a rotten original tuber.)

They have new shoots and I will once again try the Christmas potato lark!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I replant my potato plants if there is greenery on them and some small potatoes attached to the roots. They sometimes produce a small 2nd crop, sometimes not.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

That's Very exciting news. They were planted with some tiny baby spuds on the roots.
          Spuds for Christmas like snadger?

Comment

I've not grown Kestrel, so I'm not sure what will happen - the ones I have done this with so far are Rocket, Lady C and Charlotte. What tends to happen is that they grow for a bit and then die down, and I dig them up when the tops are completely dead to see what there is. The earlier they are dug the first time the bigger the 2nd crop of potatoes, which is logical.

The main hazard is blight, which is always a risk with later plantings.
            Last edited by Penellype; 02-08-2017, 07:42 AM.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

planting/harvesting time?

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
              I'm experimenting!
              Growing spuds in bags this year
              Hi, when did you plant these?

I planted some potatoes in a bag back in May. They were the organic duchy type from waitrose. There seems to be a lot of foliage, but no flowers as yet. How would I know when they are ready to be harvested?

Comment

Originally posted by greenshoot View Post
                How would I know when they are ready to be harvested?
                Get your hands in there and have a furtle. To begin with just take the biggest spuds leaving the smaller ones to grow. They'll carry on while the tops are still green.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X