Using onions going to seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using onions going to seed

I have several onions that have bolted and was wondering how I could store them, if I freeze them do I chop them up first, and do I need to blanch them before freezing, or would I be better just to use them up as soon as possible, I thought that I had came across a reference to this in the past on the vine, but cannot find it
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Use them first if you can or freeze them, if it was me them I would chop them up better than waiting for them to thaw and be squidgy I would have thought. I know nothing about if they need blanching but I'm sure a more knowledgeable grape will be along soon with the definitive answer.
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

I tend to use all minging stuff first and save the best for later, never froze an onion, or indeed much veg at all, tend to eat stuff when it's fresh and live on whisky in the winter after the brussels have gone(not really....)

Comment

Chopped onion freezes well - no need to blanch. You can use it for cooking straight from the freezer. I use the bolted onions first and start freezing when they begin to produce green shoots some time in the spring, but no reason why you can't freeze them now if you have too many bolters to use straight away.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I freeze them to use in soups and stocks.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X