Winter crop protection

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter crop protection

With the colder weather approaching we would love to know what your tops tips are for protecting your crops during the colder months of the year?

I've sent my plants on an all expense paid holiday on the spanish costa until may next year.

It 'Costa' lot but I don't have to do any weeding or watering until late spring.

Interested to hear about any cheaper alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
      I've sent my plants on an all expense paid holiday on the spanish costa until may next year.

It 'Costa' lot but I don't have to do any weeding or watering until late spring.

Interested to hear about any cheaper alternatives.
      . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	iNTeRNeT HiGH FiVe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	2375026

Comment

I don't have a greenhouse,last year I overwintered my cape gooseberry by cutting back & wrapping the whole thing with several layers of fleece pegged together,placed next to the house wall,facing south west. The house helps provide shelter. Geraniums can overwinter on the patio next to the house,surrounded by pots for a bit of shelter,it's not frosty next to the house. Meteor peas,the Sutton broad beans,garlic & onions no protection at all from the weather,although leaves start to pile up everywhere like a nice mulch. My three year old celebration runner beans get mulched with this seasons growth when it's cutting down time & the dahlias will get a similar mulching too.

Comment

I don't really protect my crops against cold, but I find that the fine insect mesh I use in the summer does give a degree or so of protection and this has helped summer calabrese to survive and continue producing small spears through a mild winter. I use my little growhouse and cloches mainly for protecting early potatoes and bringing on a few early strawberries in the spring.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Alice Johnson View Post
            With the colder weather approaching we would love to know what your tops tips are for protecting your crops during the colder months of the year?
            My outdoor crops will be parsnips, leeks, chard, kale, sprouts and purple sprouting broccoli all of which will be fine outdoors.
            I grow winter lettuce 'All year round' and 'Arctic king' it does grow outside but it does better in the GH. so I suppose that counts as protecting it in the GH.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I used a Sun tunnel last year but the weather is too unpredictable that it finished up too hot if the Sun came out, so this year I am protecting lambs lettuce and pack choi with a fleece tunnel leeks, cabbage and chard go unprotected
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X