No announcement yet.

Composting cooked foods in a dalek ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^^^^^^That bought a memory flooding back Buffs. About 60 years ago I left some of my dinner one evening in my rush to get out and play with my mates, imagine my surprise when it arrived ..........for breakfast the next morning, last time I didn't finish my food.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm with Buffs and Potty here - my cooked food waste consists mainly of bones and chicken carcasses (usually boiled to destruction from making stock), plus fish and chicken skin and surplus fat from things like ham. The occasional mouldy bread crust is considered a failure (I make almost all my own bread), and there might be cooked fruit stones or citrus peel if I've been making jam or marmalade. If I throw away anything else cooked I'm probably ill.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Strewth, i ask a simple question about composting and now it seems im having my morals questioned because i have some waste food ?.
        I did write a bit more but i deleted it as i dont feel i have to explain myself to be honest, maybe ill just ask elsewhere next time , thanks.

Comment

Do you think I should admit to throwing 2 stale doughnuts in the council food waste bin?

Comment

better not lol

Comment

do you have that much food left over after your meals ? as a kid i wasnt allowed to get down from the table until i`d eaten all my dinner ,absolutly no help i know just thought id comment
              The Dude abides.

Comment

^^^^ Stirrer
                Not so long ago, I decided to try to convert cooked chicken bones into bonemeal, so that I wouldn't have to bin them. I put the bones in a tray in the bottom of the Aga and forgot all about them.
                Days, or it may have been weeks, later, I found this charred, rather unpleasant smelling mass in the oven
                I now feel no shame in throwing them away and I don't think you should either, Jack

Comment

Shouldn't take it to heart Jack... I think it's part of what's good here... Ask a seemingly innocuous question and get leapt on from all sides Most don't mean any harm. I can't speak for the Cardiff/Swansea thing mind you...
                  Soak it up.
                  Make a highly amusing aside to any comments that do or don't tickle your fancy.
                  Go to pub...
                  Last edited by Baldy; 22-09-2017, 08:07 PM.
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Its ok Baldy, im not at the point of composting myself yet, although thinking about it im uncooked so it should be fine

Comment

I am with you Jack I very rarely leave anything on my plate, in fact I am told regularly to leave the pattern on the plate, but there are times when it does happen, I dont put cooked food into my compost bin, I would rather send it to land fill though as Buffs has said the local council takes the food waste along with the garden waste on a weekly collection, I put the food waste into a neighbors bin as I use my bin for composting I suppose this council has got to be good at something
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
                        Strewth, i ask a simple question about composting and now it seems im having my morals questioned because i have some waste food ?.
                        I did write a bit more but i deleted it as i dont feel i have to explain myself to be honest, maybe ill just ask elsewhere next time , thanks.
                        Sorry, I'm certainly not criticizing anyone - I just didn't want to give the impression that I am putting large amounts of cooked food in my hotbin. With only myself to cook for there really isn't much excuse for me getting quantities wrong.

Sometimes it is hard to get the wording of a post right so that it conveys the intended meaning.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I certainly didn't mean to criticize I was just recalling the 50s attitude, certain things were still on ration and parents had just come through a war. They didn't take kindly to anything being wasted well mine certainly didn't, mother would come down like a ton of bricks at as she saw it frivolous waste.
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Its ok Pen and Pots , i havent taken offence and my comments were half tongue in cheek, i should have added a smiley

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
                              ...Oh and Mothawk, you like your bread lol, but man, i hate Band B pudding , havent had it since school.
                              Ah, well, school food you've been forced to eat is enough to turn you off anything.
                              Mushy peas and battered fish both hold a particular revulsion for me....
                              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X