Looking ahead... ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking ahead... ?

Hi, I know I'm probably jumping the gun a bit but I'm looking ahead to next year and like many here I like to grow something I've not tried before. Growing in the Highlands sometimes means pushing the boundaries and I'm considering Trombo squash as it's grown in the Alpine regions of Italy, according to the website. I've also got some garlic Lautrec Wight which was delivered this week and smells incredible. This is more of a warm climate garlic though. I really hope it does well here!

What's in your mind to try next year?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

If your garlics warm climate, I'd be tempted to grow that under cover, stops the Yaks digging it up too.....................
    I've already got my seeds for next year sorted, what I have and what I will need lists, just tatties to sort out now.

Comment

You more or less have to be an optimist to enjoy gardening - at least as an amateur. So making "reach for the stars" plans is part of the fun.

I've been thinking again about getting a walnut tree - I know I don't really have the space and even if I did succeed in cramming one in somewhere, the squirrels would eat any nuts - so I probably will end up buying one :-)

Comment

You're not alone, I'm also in the planning stages for next year.
        Seeds are almost sorted, with quite a few new varieties. Planning on trying some new growing techniques (hydroponics). Also already have my list of winter jobs that need doing.
        You should be alright with Tromboncino I've grown it for the first time this year. None of the fruit got massive but it still produced a few in a very bad year for squash. I'll be giving it another go next year.

Comment

I'm already planning squash varieties, & deciding what makes the cut for greenhouse space next year.
          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Purple Majesty Potatoes & Rainbow Carrots and a few now varieties of tomatoes that I have never grown before. Eiffel Spring Onions are Over Wintering and I have never gown them before. During the dark and wet months the plan and varieties of what's going to be grown will all be mapped out and documented on my Diary / Blog

Mill Green Plot 1A http://cadalot-allotment.blogspot.co...t-1a-2017.html

Spencer Road Plot 23B http://cadalot-allotment.blogspot.co.uk/p/plot-23b.html

These pages currently show what I intended to grow in 2017, which didn't all happen and shortly they will updated for the 2018 fantasy ideal year to come.
            Last edited by Cadalot; 28-09-2017, 11:21 AM.
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

I always grow Tromba squash because it makes me laugh Its not done much this year though - its been a poor year for squashy things so I'm going to try them in another location next year.
              I'm always looking ahead but by the time I get to the actual time I've usually forgotten my plans, or thought of something completely different

Comment

Every year I have an experiment.
                Not decide what on for 2018 but Trombo squash sounds like a contender.
                Jimmy
                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  its been a poor year for squashy things so I'm going to try them in another location next year.
                  I grew squash last year, put a plastic fence about 2 to 3 foot high around them.
                  Protected them from the wind. Nothing fancy just a Heath Robinson affair.
                  They did really well.
                  Jimmy
                  Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                    I've been thinking again about getting a walnut tree - I know I don't really have the space and even if I did succeed in cramming one in somewhere, the squirrels would eat any nuts - so I probably will end up buying one :-)
                    I've got one, it's huge, gets covered in walnuts and the squirrels eat just 95% so you will get to taste them

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                      I'm considering Trombo squash as it's grown in the Alpine regions of Italy, according to the website.?
                      I've been growing Tromba for years, it does very well every year although I'm a little further South then you I often start one indoors quite early and transfer into a bucket for growing on in the GH before planting out after the last frost. Cover with newspapers if frost is forecast while in the GH.

Comment

You more or less have to be an optimist to enjoy gardening - at least as an amateur. So making "reach for the stars" plans is part of the fun.

You can have mine and the Squirrels for free, mind you, you will have to dig it up by hand and transport it----It is approx 50 foot tall and a complete pita, but it has nice looking bark.
                        So unless you can get a dwarf one---don't do it.
                        Feed the soil, not the plants.
                        (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                        Bob

Comment

My growing year has been so disastrous, I've been planning next year for weeks! Just hope it rains enough to replenish the aquifer that feeds our well. Otherwise, it's going to be another difficult year.

I've got quite a few things planned that are new for me, just about all of them inspired by people on here. For which many thanks.

Comment

Roast Grey Squirrels with a Walnut stuffing sounds like a plan............................

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              I've been growing Tromba for years, it does very well every year although I'm a little further South then you I often start one indoors quite early and transfer into a bucket for growing on in the GH before planting out after the last frost. Cover with newspapers if frost is forecast while in the GH.
                              Great tip... Thanks!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X