Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to give this thread some proper attention (at some point) - my chillies (mostly seeds from Chris11 (ta muchly) ) have been a bit reluctant to get going (not the seeds fault) - they're mostly finally off so I'll probably be ok
    I think I might have to look at some sort of self-watering propagation system - the first lot of successful germinators were decimated by lack of water when I was away working - a recurrent theme unfortunately.

I've actually managed to get a kitchen windowsill this year which is a first - I think Mrs B quite likes the look of the young pink habs and pineapple aji's sitting there - I'll have to keep the area especially clean and tidy and hope no cat knocks anything off...
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• Baldy

You can get a self watering tray which works on capillary matting, the exact same size as a "Super 7" prop, made by the same company actually, so perfect for a window bottom, quite a deep tray too so hold a fair bit of water.

https://www.gardening-naturally.com/...3fcd9ac85ef2f8

I have 2 and quite impressed

You can buy just the tray it's self, but you'll have to shop about a bit
      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• ^^^ ta very much - I might get that for my birthday Deano - (probably have to buy it myself mind... )
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Baldy View Post
          I'm going to give this thread some proper attention (at some point) - my chillies (mostly seeds from Chris11 (ta muchly) ) have been a bit reluctant to get going (not the seeds fault) - they're mostly finally off so I'll probably be ok
          I think I might have to look at some sort of self-watering propagation system - the first lot of successful germinators were decimated by lack of water when I was away working - a recurrent theme unfortunately.

I've actually managed to get a kitchen windowsill this year which is a first - I think Mrs B quite likes the look of the young pink habs and pineapple aji's sitting there - I'll have to keep the area especially clean and tidy and hope no cat knocks anything off...
          Hi Baldy, I've started a Blog
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...nus-seeds.html

on the Mystery Seed that Chris sent. Long story, but in essence, had 12 pots with 2 mystery seeds in each. 6 of the 24 seeds didn't germinate, so now looking to try and identify the remaining plants. Plan is to do a monthly update and going to have to do a bit of research.

That is a much better germination rate than my commercial supplied seeds so don't get too despondent. I've tried 2 sowing for commercial, with just 2 pants

I read you can make a self watering tray by placing a bit of "Wool carpet Underlay" or a thick towel under your plants and into a tank next or under your plants.

Perhaps 2 watering trays stacked with couple slats of wood for supporting top tray and matting up and over to top tray.
          Last edited by 4Shoes; 21-03-2018, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Hungarian Hot Wax and Jamaican Jerk germinated today. Both took 10 days to germinate. I must have a count up tomorrow however definitely have to many for personal use/space

Comment

• Thanks for the advice, folks.

Comment

• Anyone looking for capillary matting, I found some great value matting at Wilko:

Wilko Capillary Matting 5pk at wilko.com

The sheets fit perfectly inside a basic 38cm propagator or tray.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                  Anyone looking for capillary matting, I found some great value matting at Wilko:

I brought a roll of it from there last year, very good stuff, got lots left. Just cut to the size you need.
                  Mostly used for new wicks in my chilli grow.

Comment

Anyone looking for capillary matting, I found some great value matting at Wilko:

Good to know.

I've been using "New Carpet Underlay". The recycled clothes stuff, but getting to the end.

Sparrows and Dunocks been plucking and stealing it for their nests. Beats going round barbed wire fences and collecting sheep wool (That is the sparrows - not me) I've taken some home in the past for them
                    Last edited by 4Shoes; 22-03-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Bought a couple of packs few weeks back and it's really good and very good value

Comment

• interesting stuff ,how does it work ? is it like a wick set up ?
                        The Dude abides.

Comment

• Bought two packs this morning (a purchase I look forward to using) and 5 litres of 'Ducksback' for £10 to paint the shed and fence (not so mcuh looking forward to that)
                          sigpic

Comment

• Nigel is now repotted!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2902.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	2376925

And for those who are a little daunted by the fact they have managed to overwinter one and are now at a loss what to do, fear not, honest it's dead simple!

Now I'm not claiming to be an expert, but this works for me

I kept "Nigel" parked by the kitchen french doors taking in as much light that was available, keeping him virtually on the dry side with probably a soak once every 10 to 14 days.

I kept nipping him back just above a node to keep him in check and encourage new growth which it did

Name:	IMG_2907.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2376926. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2376927

not too vigorously so he still had leaves to feed from the light.

After yesterdays potting on, he got his final trim aiming to make him a goblet shape and take out any inward facing branches to now hopefully encourage him to become a "Bush"

Name:	IMG_2901.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2376928

So far so good!

But now he is repotted and had a good feed heres hoping!

He's looking well!

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2376929
                            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• re feeding Nige , my sweet peppers seem to be doing ok since potting up into 3inch peat pots ,but my chillies seem to have grown a bit but some seem to have slowed down over the last week or so ! can any one please advise if I need to feed them and would tomato feed be ok ? atb Dal.

Comment

• Some of my plants still happily growing under lights and some more thriving on the windows
                                Attached Files
                                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X