Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine were quite hot Mitzi but i was able to eat a whole one and enjoy it. A punch but not enough to make you choke, my fave so far

Comment

• Lizards Jack?! Fancy a snake?

Comment

• My boy has two Scarlet , the Lizard was also his but is mow downstairs with usl he lost interest ( suprise suprise ).
        He has a corn snake and a Boa in his room, the Boas a( dwarf ) type so will only stay at six foot or so.
        What do you have ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
          Well, I sowed my main batch of seeds yesterday.
          There was a couple of new ones I found out about a little while ago that I really wanted to do this year (thanks, Chris11) Fatalii White was the main one, but I decided to hold off getting them (and inevitably others), and instead save a few quid and just use up what's in my seed box, as some packets are getting on a bit. I've got Serrano Tampiqueno seeds for example from 2013 (I don't know if that's when I bought them or the sow by date in which case they're even older). I only want four plants or so but I've sown the whole packet (30+ seeds) so I'm hopeful I should still get some germination in that lot.
          Similar here, working my way through some of my oldest seeds to start off with.

Some of them are old commercial packets, some of them self saved, and a selection of others I've got from swaps from like-minded fellow growers. Both online and from a local seed swap event I help organise.

Oldest seeds germinated so far this year are self-saved from 2014.

Have also resisted the temptation to buy any seeds.
          In fact haven't bought any seeds of anything for at least 2 years, and that's something I'm trying to maintain indefinitely. It's so much better where possible to save, swap and share seeds, and to encourage others to do the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
            My boy has two Scarlet , the Lizard was also his but is mow downstairs with usl he lost interest ( suprise suprise ).
            He has a corn snake and a Boa in his room, the Boas a( dwarf ) type so will only stay at six foot or so.
            What do you have ?
            We have corn snake, my brother keeps Boas - he has three, and OMG they are huge!

Comment

• I've decided to add a couple more to my grow list for this year; Orange Thai from saved seed as I've now discovered it's impossible to track down the original seeds again (original supplier no longer stocks them). It doesn't help that "Orange Thai" is quite a vague name and seems to apply to several different strains already, so in order not to lose the variety I'm familiar with in the maelstrom of chilli types out there, I figured I'd grow a few more and hopefully then refresh my seed stock for future. This was the first chilli I used when making chilli jam the first few times, and it turned out to be a great choice (especially when the jar is sealed and left to develop over a few months - wow! ). So I have one plant overwintering that seems to be doing okay, and hopefully produces again this year, but now I'll sow another batch to guarantee next year's pick (2019). The Orange Thai I'm talking about looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Thai fruit.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	2376276

My other variety is an impulse purchase from the weekend (after browsing the seed racks of local garden centre), with ironically an equally non-descript name; Orange Wonder. It's a Fothergill's one. This variety though looks to be a true orange i.e. same colour as orange the fruit. And that was my sole reason for wanting it; to add some colour variation. If it tastes good too, bonus

Comment

• I sowed mine on the weekend - not a huge variety this year. And I'm only going to keep one of each

Choc Hab
                Orange Hab
                Jays peach
                Red manzano
                Jacks basque
                Kashmiri mirch

...will sow a few more next week.

Comment

The Orange Thai I'm talking about looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78315[/ATTACH]
                  Really? That looks like no Orange Thai I've ever seen. I thought all the Thai chillies were variations on the narrow pointy annuum shape? Every day's a school day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    I sowed mine on the weekend - not a huge variety this year. And I'm only going to keep one of each

Choc Hab
                    Orange Hab
                    Jays peach
                    Red manzano
                    Jacks basque
                    Kashmiri mirch

...will sow a few more next week.
                    Ooh er missus!

Nice range of colour/shape/heat level there, Scarlet.

Comment

Orange Thai from saved seed as I've now discovered it's impossible to track down the original seeds again (original supplier no longer stocks them). It doesn't help that "Orange Thai" is quite a vague name and seems to apply to several different strains already, so in order not to lose the variety I'm familiar with in the maelstrom of chilli types out there, I figured I'd grow a few more and hopefully then refresh my seed stock for future. The Orange Thai I'm talking about looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78315[/ATTACH]
                      Looking at that picture, it looks more like a Mushroom Red, what do you think?

For the Orange Thai, I think there are two main types, Orange Thai and Orange Thai Large. Orange Thai are hotter and more wrinkled, the Orange Thai Large are milder, smoother, sweeter, and...err...larger

Here's a pic of my Orange Thai Large from last year:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Thai Large 20171016_150433.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	2376277 Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Thai Large 20171016_150500.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2376278

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                        Ooh er missus!

Nice range of colour/shape/heat level there, Scarlet.
                        I wasnt going to grow any hots but i cant resist sowing seeds ...and I love a bit of colour!

Comment

• Still not sown a single seed!

And now becoming very envious of all others exploits for the coming year!

But am just at the end of introducing a brand new fleet of "Mercedes" trucks to my fleet! and booking next week off as an holiday!

Let the chilli season begin!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• That's something to look forward to Deano!

Comment

• Today sown
                              Devils Tongue....
                              Joe E Parker.
                              Anaheim.
                              Beaver Dam...
                              Apache.

Don't know anything about characteristics but the names attracted me ( Bit like choosing a race horse) lol
                              Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

• Haha, that's how I choose tomatoes I love the names!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X