X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
    My thoughts entirely!
    Ya be right SP!
    Mine are now "Firing" at a great rate of knot's!

So you do have "Back Up"
    Thanks Deano. Your babies are replacing my no shows and failed over wintered.
    Don't get me started on the no shows that could turn into a major rant!
    my failed over wintered I experimented with there lives. It didn't work so it's a bit of a moment. No chillies but no greenfly in my house.

On a slightly different topics I had to pick a flower bud off my rocoto la Paz rojo (that I got from Mitzi) this morning

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
      Thanks Deano. Your babies are replacing my no shows and failed over wintered.
      Don't get me started on the no shows that could turn into a major rant!
      my failed over wintered I experimented with there lives. It didn't work so it's a bit of a moment. No chillies but no greenfly in my house.

On a slightly different topics I had to pick a flower bud off my rocoto la Paz rojo (that I got from Mitzi) this morning

Probably a wise move SP...I was affected by greenfly all last season due to young plants in the house picking them up from overwintered plants
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

• A bit of advice needed "Guy's n Gal's" As I have previously said, I only overwintered the one and that was "Nigel"

He is not giving up the ghost any time soon it would seem, and I haven't watered him in day's!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3595.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	2376570

I wanted to trim him back, but now observing him I think I really don't have the need!

He is budding too! No infestation from the Blaady green fly, which to be fair, I have never witnessed in over wintering a chilli before!

Name:	IMG_3597.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	2376571

Name:	IMG_3598.jpg
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	2376572

Is it a case of re-pot him with a little more nutrients from the new soil and feed when necessary?

Must admit! Well "Chuffed with him" He gave an obundance of fruit last year, so so looking forward to what he as to offer this one!
        Last edited by Deano's "Diggin It"; 23-02-2018, 12:17 PM.
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
          A bit of advice needed "Guy's n Gal's" As I have previously said, I only overwintered the one and that was "Nigel"

He is not giving up the ghost any time soon it would seem, and I haven't watered him in day's!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78700[/ATTACH]

I wanted to trim him back, but now observing him I think I really don't have the need!

He is budding too! No infestation from the Blaady green fly, which to be fair, I have never witnessed in over wintering a chilli before!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78701[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78702[/ATTACH]

Is it a case of re-pot him with a little more nutrients from the new soil and feed when necessary?

Must admit! Well "Chuffed with him" He gave an obundance of fruit last year, so so looking forward to what he as to offer this one!
          many approaches you can take Deano, none of them totally wrong or totally right

Looking at it, I would repot in new compost and give it a good feed..
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

• cheers trip!
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• My remaining Paper Lantern overwintering plant looks to be about to snuff it.
              Damn. The watering frequency I operate is proven so no issues there. I'm wondering if perhaps it's a tad too chilly in my overwintering space.. especially with the overnight lows predicted for next week perhaps I'll crank the radiator a bit. Conscious that I don't want to rouse the plants from their slumber just yet though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vickilou View Post
                Hi all, could anyone offer me a bit of advise please. My habenero seems to be over wintering quite nicely, a first for me I pruned it on 23/1 and it's got lots of new growth However it's now starting to bud up and I'm not sure whether to pinch them off or not. ]
                As Trip posted earlier - there’s no right or wrong - but if it was mine, I would pinch out the flowers/tips to edncoursge more growth before you let it carry fruit. It looks a bit small to me.

Comment

• Couldn't help myself!

I "Nipped Nigel" back a tad, all inward facing stems are gone and now more of an outward facing goblet!

Name:	IMG_3605.jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	2376580

Gave him a huge drink and will pot on in the next few days!

With regards to seedlings!

Popping at a great rate of knots!

Name:	IMG_3600.jpg
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	2376581

Name:	IMG_3602.jpg
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	2376582

Give em one more night in the prop and whack em under the lights tomorrow!

Comment

• OMG Deano! Such a neat freak!
                    Looks fab

Comment

• Mystery Chilli challenge....

15 of the Mystery 24 seeds have germinated. Not worried. 2 pots have 0, and 5 have 1. Just expecting any remaining seedlings/plants to be hotter.

I was hopping that the colour of the seedling / stem would help to identify the parentage of the plant, but then I noticed that some of the Sweet pepper have green and some Purple stems., so going to have to wait for true leaves..

Planted 2 seeds per pot (1 to 12) expecting some to fail, so next step is survival of the fittest/strongest. some pots have closely matched seedlings, so will just eliminate the weaker plant. others well... will see nearer time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Deano, loving your seed trays too I did mine the same way, except rather stupidly I put a row of aubergine seeds right in the middle that of course germinated first, meaning they were hemmed in by plant labels on both sides and extraction of soft, peat cells has proved rather fiddly!

Comment

• Mine are progressing well...As I am away for a week I decided to clear out the propagator, so that's it for me apart from a possible post delivery that hopefully will survive
                          Actually I must go and count them but pretty sure I have way less than last year... that is probably no bad thing tho
                          Attached Files

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

• No sign of any new growth on the Cayenne I over wintered yet, but the conservatory isn't that warm, it still looks alive, unlike the one in the greenhouse lol. First seedlings appeared this morning in the propagator, one Cayenne and one Hungarian Hot Wax, yahoo.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                              Mystery Chilli challenge....

15 of the Mystery 24 seeds have germinated. Not worried. 2 pots have 0, and 5 have 1. Just expecting any remaining seedlings/plants to be hotter.

I was hoping that the colour of the seedling / stem would help to identify the parentage of the plant, but then I noticed that some of the Sweet pepper have green and some Purple stems., so going to have to wait for true leaves..

Planted 2 seeds per pot (1 to 12) expecting some to fail, so next step is survival of the fittest/strongest. some pots have closely matched seedlings, so will just eliminate the weaker plant. others well... will see nearer time.
                              Nice work, hope they do well for you

I've kept a note of which varieties were included in the mystery mixed bag so enjoy the lucky dip, and we'll identify them later. Some of them are on the list offered here, some are not

If you've only got limited space, and loads of seedlings, you could remove some. But because they're all mixed up, the smaller ones won't necessarily be weaker, they may just be a smaller or slower growing variety. If you have space, you could wait for them to get large enough to transplant, and fill in the gaps in any empty pots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                                Nice work, hope they do well for you

I've kept a note of which varieties were included in the mystery mixed bag so enjoy the lucky dip, and we'll identify them later. Some of them are on the list offered here, some are not

If you've only got limited space, and loads of seedlings, you could remove some. But because they're all mixed up, the smaller ones won't necessarily be weaker, they may just be a smaller or slower growing variety. If you have space, you could wait for them to get large enough to transplant, and fill in the gaps in any empty pots.
                                Its only been 14 days.
                                Mystery Trial...
                                Each pot has a Red Label. It is moved to the 1st Seedling and 2nd seedling gets a blue label.
                                The Seeds were sorted by size, and every 4th seed selected.
                                The seedlings are classed as Purple or Green
                                Down to 6 mystery seedling not germinated.

Known pots...
                                Just the Cherry Bomb and 1 Black Hungarian still to germinate...

Of the other Sweet and Chilli peppers 9 out of the 14 pots still to germinate.
                                Only 1 "Scotch Bonnet" - Several "unknown Scotch Bonnets" in the Overwinter pot.

Next Stage is to measure the height.

I have had several seedling that are just trying to die. They have not put down roots. So dropped them down a pencil hold. Might just be natural selection.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X