Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4Shoes, I think you're getting very good germination rates, it's never going to be 100%.
    You're getting faster and better germination than me, although I think you have a bespoke set-up. Is it thermostatically controlled, and what temperatures?

Cold weather really isn't helping, both with germination and seedling survival.
    I've done everything I can with basic heated propagators, but in cold weather like this, and a cold house, the propagators are barely getting near 20*C. I've also lost a couple of seedlings, probably due to cold.

I'm just hoping I won't be starting again from scratch after this exceptional cold spell eventually ends.

Comment

• Yesterday I noticed that a few of my plants are suffering oedema. I don't think I've overwatered them. Could it be related to the boiler breakdown and the plants being cold for several days?

Comment

• Chris11.
        Built a undersoil bed with 2 x Stewarts 1m x 400 Grow Bag Trays, filled with sand and an undersoil warming cable. I tried to get all the cable in to tray1, but there was a fight and I lost, so cable is mainly in one tray with a couple lengths in the next.
        The inkbird thermostat is in the Tray 1
        Put on 50mm sides and covered with sand.
        Put small pot into Seed Tray and planted 2 seeds per pot. Covered with a Clear plastic hood.
        The temperature was set at 19C, but my thinking was that the seed tray insulated the pots from the sand, so on 22nd, I increased the temperature to 23C.
        Tonight, ! switched on the Grow Lights.
        So far germination has been good (for your seeds) but not going so well for the seeds I've bought.
        Felt it was the same last year.

I'll put a thermometer into a seed pot to get temperature . Might move the un-germinated pots onto the sand if temp well out.
        The Seedlings are in a porch, so get good sun light when it is out. But with Polycarbonate roof, gets very cold in there overnight, so just as well I keep them covered for the moment.

You shouldn't have to start again. Weather is on the way up....
        Last edited by 4Shoes; 25-02-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
          Yesterday I noticed that a few of my plants are suffering oedema. I don't think I've overwatered them. Could it be related to the boiler breakdown and the plants being cold for several days?
          Didn't know what it was so Mr Google gave me this...

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=637

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
            So far germination has been good (for your seeds) but not going so well for the seeds I've bought. Felt it was the same last year.
            Thanks, that's really reassuring to hear

Although commercial seed companies really *should* be able to do a better job, with the seed drying, packaging and storage facilities that an amateur doesn't have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris11 View Post

Although commercial seed companies really *should* be able to do a better job, with the seed drying, packaging and storage facilities that an amateur doesn't have.
              Sand is @ 23C
              Temperature in the pot is 15C

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris11 View Post

They absolutely should but over the last two years I've also had better germination with swapped seed than with bought.

Comment

• I've had pretty good germination rates this year to be honest, from both bought and swapped seed, and I think I am in agreance with Mitzi that the majority of swaps have fair bettered!

That said! I have 100% germination from the likes of Lemon Drop, Bishops Hat, Scotch Bonnet Yellow and early Jalapeño, the later I struggled with last year!

SP! Where looking good for replacing some of your "Babies"

I really wanted to shift a few on today, but to be honest they are still a little to delicate to make the move!

So I have lifted from direct "Bottom Heat"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3611.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2376618

Still in the "Sweat Box" to get the humidity, and will overview this next few Day's!
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Looking good Deano
                    No pressure but I've designated pots and space in my tunnel to some of them .

I've just had a recount of my chillies
                    57 plants with the potential of it going up to 66 with plug swaps and late germination.
                    33 varieties with the potential of going up to 40 with seed swaps and late germination
                    All chillies have been designated a final pot and position in the tunnel ( including the potentials )
                    Last edited by Small pumpkin; 27-02-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                      Looking good Deano
                      No pressure but I've designated pots and space in my tunnel to some of them .

I've just had a recount of my chillies
                      57 plants with the potential of it going up to 66 with plug swaps and late germination.
                      33 varieties with the potential of going up to 40 with seed swaps and late germination
                      All chillies have been designated a final pot and position in the tunnel ( including the potentials )
                      sounding like you are organised

I've now got 40 seedlings... a few not looking their best and approx. 20 varieties.

Not got round to allocating space - mainly because I don't know half the varieties, but at a guess, should look to allocate an area 3m x 5m,

Comment

• My over wintered chilli plant https://imgur.com/4lCUmrP
                        Should i cut it back some?

Comment

• Reefer! My only overwintered plant dosen't resemble more than a twig!

So safe to think you are ok to go!

Have moved a few of mine on tonight, a little early I know, but looking back through the posts, seems I am way behind!

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2376633

Name:	IMG_2820.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2376634

Not "Sweating" yet so must be good!

I'll soon catch up with you lot!

They are at least under lights, so that's a bonus!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                            Reefer! My only overwintered plant dosen't resemble more than a twig!

So safe to think you are ok to go!

Have moved a few of mine on tonight, a little early I know, but looking back through the posts, seems I am way behind!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78774[/ATTACH]

Not "Sweating" yet so must be good!

I'll soon catch up with you lot!

They are at least under lights, so that's a bonus!
                            The spot this plant is in gets so much light in summer the plant even has 2 flowers on it right now
                            Anyway i cut it back on the right side so hopefully it will bush out a bit
                            Here is a couple of chilli's i dried from last year can you tell me what type they are as i forget what the plant is now
                            https://imgur.com/a/rBwng

Comment

• On with "Pricking Out"

Must admit that germination rates have been a little varied, but were getting there slowly!

As they germinate I am moving them on under the lights!

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	2376675

Had a few misfires!

That said they are stil in the prop given chance!

Name:	IMG_2839.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	2376676

Not rushing anything this year, it's all about "Taking Stock"

Comment

• My OH is knitting jumpers for them all this weekend

The porch has dropped to just around freezing.
                                Still heat under the seedlings, and under 2nd propagator cover with lights.
                                Moved chitting seed potatoes inside

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X