Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you got an airing cupboard Marb ? If you could sit your pots in there it would be a bit extra content heat they like. Just have to remember to check for germination every day. Then move them to the brightest window cill. I usually forget to do the daily check

Comment

• Yesterday I chucked out the remaining compost filled cells in my propagator from my original sowing back in January; there was about half of a standard seed tray of sown seeds still warming in it but they won't come to anything now, most likely they were duff seeds or have just deteriorated over time. The last one to sprout was a Fish chilli seed, about 10 days ago, and that after no other activity for two weeks. It was an old'ish seed, coming through finally after almost TWO MONTHS on steady but lower-end-of-scale heat (and long after I'd stopped checking regularly)!

I've still struggled with germination this year of a couple of varieties; notably Submarine again (had issues with this last year), and the Biquinho Yellow have sulked a bit too. Fatali slow coming through also which is unusual for me.

I think next year I'm going to treat myself to a slightly better spec propagator (as what I have is one up from the radiator.. ) It works just fine for a lot of veg and flowers but chillies do seem to prefer that bit of extra heat to get going, and as such the germination rates I've been getting can be quite sporadic which makes it difficult to gage performance of individual varieties and the seeds' brand / source. I'm thinking this rather than just older seed is my issue as both of the two that have largely failed to sprout (submarine + BY) are 2017 & 2018 purchases respectively so should have given no issues.

So I have made a fresh sowing of both, and they're back on the heat. It is borderline (for me) to start another sowing of chilli this late in the spring but I'm keen to grow these two and have sown 'generously' so hopefully they'll still be successful.

My surviving overwintered specimens are starting to bud and sprout new leaves.
      I've had one more loss since last update; that was my 'Orange Thai' (or not [Chris11 ]) from saved seed. Bit annoying as that was my only one and I was curious to see what it would yield having no idea what it crossed with. I think I hastened it's demise though as I suspect I gave it a little too much water when it was still quite cold on the windowsill with the snowy period and subzero temperatures. I've been watering every 3-4 weeks but the amount is as important as the frequency if the plant is not actively absorbing it. My biggest overwintering success this year though is a jalapeno, which I've not managed to do before so very pleased about that

Comment

• Let me know what propagator you're looking at Philthy.
        I've also been considering something with a little more overall constant ( middle is warmer than round the edges on mine ) and controllable heat.
        I've been half heartedly looking but not spotted the perfect one ( that I can afford) yet.

Comment

• Well mine are doing "Alright"

Not breaking records, and are progressing slowly! But more than happy given the recent cold spells! .............

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2917 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	2377002

Name:	IMG_2921 (2).jpg
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	2377003

Name:	IMG_2922 (2).jpg
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	2377004

Now a few days off so they will get my undivided attention!

So Yeah!

Not "Flapping" yet!
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Deano what size are the trays in your photos please ? atb Dal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derbydal View Post
              Deano what size are the trays in your photos please ? atb Dal.
              Dal, they are these

https://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/9-...4-pid6993.html

Used em for a good few years now, they are very sturdy and last a good few years if you look after them, and with them being quite deep make for an excellent plug plant with an exceptional root structure.
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Hello

Good morning chilli people,
                Just thought I'd share some pics of my first attempt at growing something. Mostly chillies, but a few toms and tomatillos there too, and some Thai basil. Jalapeno Early, Cherry Bomb, Carolina Reaper, Padron and Kitchen were sown on the 8th Feb. A lot died because I didn't know what I was doing, which in hind sight was a combination of overwatering, underwatering, leaving them too long in the propagator, and not enough light. Aji Peruvian and Lemon Drop were sown on the 12th Feb, but none of Lemon Drop germinated. Then on the 12th March I put down some Cayenetta F1, more Lemon Drop, Amarillo, 7 Pot Primo, Tabasco and Hangijao #4, and got at least a couple of each. Also got an Apache from Homebase at the weekend.

The Cherry Bombs are doing ok.

My favorites however are the ones that survived the misfortune of having me look after them, and have thrived despite their scars. This Jalapeno was sown too shallow and decided to wear his seed case as a helmet, probably to protect himself, which I admit does sound like a wise move. The cack-handed surgery took its toll on the cotyledon. He was also dropped into a bucket of tomorite, and survived the fall despite not having his helmet.

... continued in next post, because I'm not allow more than 4 photos per post.

Comment

While we're on the topic of dropping, this Padron got squashed by a fellow chilli. The stem folded and the leaves were crushed. I eased it back to verticle, pushed some compost around the stem to stop it falling over again, and pretended nothing happened. The leaf keeps growing though, even though it has holes in it. One of the cotyledons was hanging off precariously, I thought it was going to fall off. Despite the wonkey cotys, kinked stem, and hole-ridden leaf, the new leaves are looking ok. Its even giving the Cherry Bombs a run for their money.

They are currently sitting on some shelving I got from the garden centre. They've got a fan on them, and I got some cheap LED strip lights from Amazon for less than a tenner. I stuck them (badly) on some aluminium strip, and they are now resting on some kebab skewers, tied to the frame with string. Kebabs are off the menu, but its a worthwhile sacrefice. The lights are pretty bright considering how cheap they were, and have certainly stopped the seedlings getting leggier.

The unit lives in front of a south-facing window, bathing in whatever sunlight manages to escape from the grey clouds of our glorious British spring.

Here they are, tanning under that wonderful blurple colour that my wife doesn't like. This room is suppose to be my daugheters bedroom, and I plan on moving everything out to one of those cheap plastic greenhouses which I keep reading will fall over at the first sign of a light breeze (I'll keep it down with some paving slabs I've removed, because who needs paving when you can grow plants there, right?). Then I can move the cot in from the foot of our bed. I really hope the weather picks up soon so I can get on with this; my wife is very understanding but a bit unsure about my new obsession. I heard a “you're taking over with your plants” this weekend, a remark that a wiser man than I wouldn't ignore. I've just ordered some plugs: Rocotto, Fatali Yellow, Aji Omnicolour, Bhut Jolokia and Bishops Crown.

Comment

• Hmmmm... I can't edit or delete posts. The buttons just won't work. Do I have to live with the spelling mistakes and having it look like the plants are growing out from the walls?

Comment

• Originally posted by IainM View Post
                      Hmmmm... I can't edit or delete posts. The buttons just won't work. Do I have to live with the spelling mistakes and having it look like the plants are growing out from the walls?
                      Don't worry about spelling. Didn't notice! That's not a big surprise I'm dyslexic .
                      I think you need to make a few more posts before you can do some things.

Your chillies are looking great. It doesn't take long before the chilli obsession takes hold.

Comment

• A bit late this year, wife booked a holiday last week so couldn't do much till after that.
                        So my toms and chilies going into the propagator tonight.
                        Will also keep my eyes out at Lidl and Aldi for cheap plants.
                        Jimmy
                        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

• IainM I’m not a chilli expert like others here but I’m having a good go at trying to grow some this year.

Sympathise with your jalapeño mine has a similar ‘war wound’ but he looks to be doing just fine despite everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by IainM View Post
                            Hmmmm... I can't edit or delete posts. The buttons just won't work. Do I have to live with the spelling mistakes and having it look like the plants are growing out from the walls?
                            Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                            Don't worry about spelling. Didn't notice! That's not a big surprise I'm dyslexic .
                            I think you need to make a few more posts before you can do some things.

Your chillies are looking great. It doesn't take long before the chilli obsession takes hold.
                            Oh No!

Another one fallen by the "Wayside"

Welcome aboard Iain!

Comment

• Hello, IainM

Great progress for your first foray into chilli growing! Your plants are looking great
                              A few mishaps along the way is inevitable, don't worry about that. Always good practice to sow and pot on a few more than you think you'll need overall and then you're covered for any losses, plus you'll get the option later on of thinning the nursery to your strongest performers.
                              Your 'Blue Peter' grow light rig is inspired. Looks to be effective too, not bad for an ultra budget setup!
                              Don't know your location but certainly here in the southeast it's way too early to be thinking about moving plants outdoors into an unheated GH space just yet, whether that's a popup or permanent structure. Winter seems to be lingering this year and it's the overnight temperature drops that will cause harm to young tender plants like chilli. Even mature plants don't have much more resilience; I got caught out myself a couple of years ago when moving some overwintered plants back out to my GH in April after a fortnight of decent spring sunshine, thinking it was a sign of things to come, and then there was a sharp cold snap lasting several days that damaged all the plants, killed a Carolina Reaper, and set everything back. So May is a more realistic time to be transferring plants to the big wide world (for me at least).

On a side note and not related to any of the above I really like the colour of the wall (green one) in your pictures, very complementary. Added bonus it makes a great backdrop to your chilli plants for future photos...
                              Last edited by Philthy; 03-04-2018, 11:23 PM. Reason: clarifying

Comment

• Just a small update.

Name:	20180403_112902.jpg
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	2377066

Some plants under lights and some on top of the lights because they have done rather well.

Name:	20180403_112906.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2377067

And the first fruit of the year...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...