This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
    hi all, looking great mitzi , i have about 10 hungarian wax chillis that look about ready to pick ,is anyone else growing those ?
    I grew then last year. I picked them when they were yellow and turning orange.
    Was hoping for a plant this year but it didn't happen.

Comment

• Well the aphids are enjoying this weather and my chillies!
      I've tried need oil. Yes it works but you have to repeat the process regularly. It make every thing a bit tacky. And it's a bit of an indiscriminate killer, like slug pellets. Even though I was very careful in my use of it. There was a noticeable drop in hoverflies and other good insects in the tunnel. So I've stopped using it. Only used it 3 times and not on all the plants, used less than 15ml of the stuff. It also has a slight aroma of soy sauce about it.
      So today I took delivery of lots of ladybird larvae. I know i said i wouldn't, but I don't Think I'm going to mess up the local ecosystem if I'm careful. Think I might try making some screens for the doors to keep them in when they are all grown up. Going to move my bug box into the tunnel as well, just in case they want to use it. I put at least one on each infested plant and a few on the plants that are really affected. Most of the plants are touching each other now so the little fellas should be able to get to where the food is.

Comment

• Chris11 Challenge - June Update1.3

Chris11 - Couldn't upload picture to comments on blog, so posted it here.

Summary..
        The June posting raised a couple of interesting points for the challenge.

6a looks as if it could be an Enjoya pepper. But 7B with similar flowers to Enjoya produced a small purple pod, so can't be an Enjoya. Plant 12A (still to be identified) has purple pods

Click image for larger version

Name:	pointed .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2379114

12A with the large pointed peppers is on the left. 7B with a more bush like stature is on the Right. I don't think they are the same variety.

Blog is here

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ne-update.html

Comment

• Great looking plants and pictures 4shoes

Too early to guess 7B, look forward to seeing this one develop.

I think I know what 12A is, and I'm glad you've got one of these. It's very rare, and it's not one I've offered in my Seed Offer list yet.

If I'm guessing right, it will be a sweet pepper which will ripen from black to a dramatic dark red. Let me know if you want the name or just more of a clue at this stage

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
            Cayenne, padron and the first thunder mountain longhorn.

I second Scarlet's comments. Tell him to buy you a greenhouse ......... a big one
            Your cayennes are much chunkier than the ones I grew the last two years - is it a particular variety?

Have you tried the TML yet? Mine hasn't even started setting pods yet. Other people have said that it doesn't have much taste / isn't a lot of point to it, just the novelty of the long twisty pod shape, so I wondered what you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
              Your cayennes are much chunkier than the ones I grew the last two years - is it a particular variety?

Have you tried the TML yet? Mine hasn't even started setting pods yet. Other people have said that it doesn't have much taste / isn't a lot of point to it, just the novelty of the long twisty pod shape, so I wondered what you think?
              Don't think the cayenne is anything special. Will dig out the seed packet later and have a look.
              Not tried TML yet. Will give you my verdict when I do. What I can say is it's a stunning looking plant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                Don't think the cayenne is anything special. Will dig out the seed packet later and have a look.
                Not tried TML yet. Will give you my verdict when I do. What I can say is it's a stunning looking plant.

TML?

Mitzi / SP All your plants are looking good.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                  TML?

Mitzi / SP All your plants are looking good.
                  Thunder mountain longhorn

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    I've had a look at seeds (hot) de cayenne from Mr F's,
                    Also just been and tried a TML. Nothing to write home about. Flavour very average, heat very little ( but I only had a sample from the middle). There's a chance they might improve slightly as it's very early in the season, but I'm not holding my breath.
                    But I still think it's a lovely plant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	2379127

Comment

• For anyone that had a (not) scotch bonnet in the plug plant swap. I had my first one in this evening's meal. It was only a little one and it had no seeds when I chopped it, but it had some heat to it. Maybe not quite scoth bonnet heat. Definitely not mild. wasn't sure it would after Scarlet mentioned some of her crosses not having any heat.
                      Just thought you might liketo know

Comment

• I've got one to try...

Comment

• Poddage

Almost everything that I've got ripening now is in the yellow/orange/peach part of the spectrum:

SB MoA (or not – really not the right shape) - overwintered plant

Bahamian Goat - overwintered plant

SBL x Yellow BBG7. This should have bleeding calyxes (spelling?) but no sign of it as yet:

Comment

• More poddage

Peach Tiger's Tooth - these are a darker orange and less tooth-like than I expected

Nagabrain Chocolate - scary stuff

Nebru 7 – a long way off ripening, but worth a pic because it's so prolific!

My grow isn't a patch on SPs but it's going pretty well so far.

Comment

• They are all looking fantastic Mitzi.

Comment

• They look fab.....I really like the look of the nagabrain chocolate. Though I had a naga and it filled the freezer and I even struggled using them up cooking chutneys and jams with them as you don’t need a lot to produce some serious heat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X