X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ani View Post
    Awesome pictures, Iain.
    I love the Comet's tail, and it looks like it's mild enough to eat raw. It certainly goes to my next year wishlist.
    Thanks, I'm going to try the first one tomorrow.
    EDIT I'll save some seeds and offer them up on here.
    Last edited by IainM; 25-07-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IainM View Post
      Thanks, I'm going to try the first one tomorrow.
      EDIT I'll save some seeds and offer them up on here.
      I recognise those photos I saw them on facebooook the other day I think I commented as well

Have you isolated your plants or individual flowers for seed saving? Chillies are promiscuous little **its . There's a very high chance you will get cross varieties if you haven't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
        I recognise those photos I saw them on facebooook the other day I think I commented as well

Have you isolated your plants or individual flowers for seed saving? Chillies are promiscuous little **its . There's a very high chance you will get cross varieties if you haven't.
        No, I haven't so they are open pollination. However, they were one of the first to flower, and I *think* I know which pod set first.

Comment

• Iain, very impressive stuff buddy, and for a first effort as well. You've jumped in with both feet alright!
          Especially liking your Omnicolour and Golden Ghost, and those Cayenettas are LOADED..

What do you think you'll do with the bulk of your crop, bearing in mind of course a fair few are some way off being ripe?

PS I mostly grow a few tomatoes these days just to keep the peace

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
            Iain, very impressive stuff buddy, and for a first effort as well. You've jumped in with both feet alright!
            Especially liking your Omnicolour and Golden Ghost, and those Cayenettas are LOADED..

What do you think you'll do with the bulk of your crop, bearing in mind of course a fair few are some way off being ripe?

PS I mostly grow a few tomatoes these days just to keep the peace
            Thanks Philthy. I'm not too sure what I'll do with them all, but hot sauce is definitely on the cards. I've already done a bravas sauce, a Belizian style one and a north african syle hot and sour tomato one, supplementing with bonnets from the Asian shop down the road. The hot banana, jalapenos and cherry bombs have been good stuffed with a mix of feta, cream cheese and herbs. I recon they'd be good pickled too. I'll dry and powder some of the thinner-walled ones once the glut happens. The padrons will all be cooked Spanish style, blistered in olive oil with a sprinkle of salt. I like Peruvian food, so the amarillos will all go into causa limna, papa a la Huancaina, aji de gallina and maybe ceviche if I can find fish fresh enough. I also really like Sichuan food after a Chinese collegue took us to some good Sichuan restuarants, so I'll use some of the cayenne-type ones to have a go at some of their classics, like laziji, kung pao, and "ants climbing a tree". Not sure what to do with the reapers though. They scare me.
            Last edited by IainM; 25-07-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IainM View Post
              Thanks Philthy. I'm not too sure what I'll do with them all, but hot sauce is definitely on the cards. I've already done a bravas sauce, a Belizian style one and a north african syle hot and sour tomato one, supplementing with bonnets from the Asian shop down the road. The hot banana, jalapenos and cherry bombs have been good stuffed with a mix of feta, cream cheese and herbs. I recon they'd be good pickled too. I'll dry and powder some of the thinner-walled ones once the glut happens. The padrons will all be cooked Spanish style, blistered in olive oil with a sprinkle of salt. I like Peruvian food, so the amarillos will all go into causa limna, papa a la Huancaina, aji de gallina and maybe ceviche if I can find fish fresh enough. I also really like Sichuan food after a Chinese collegue took us to some good Sichuan restuarants, so I'll use some of the cayenne-type ones to have a go at some of their classics, like laziji, kung pao, and "ants climbing a tree". Not sure what to do with the reapers though. They scare me.
              Where do you live? Can we all come round for tea?

Comment

• Yeah I was thinking that as well

Comment

• Meet little, either Apache or Basket of Fire. Last year the tip was knocked off one of my chilli plants. I put it in a glass of water and promptly forgot about it. Unbeknownst to me my son was topping up the water. Anyhoo came across the little thing, huge roots and some little flowers. Removed flowers and put plant in compost not really expecting anything. Lo and behold we have little chillies coming! Complete survivor!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3128.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	2379681
                  Last edited by Jay22; 27-07-2018, 11:21 AM. Reason: For some reason photo not uploading from phone!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                    ...either Apache or Basket of Fire.
                    Nice story Jay. Looks more like a Basket of Fire F1 than an Apache F1?

Comment

• i would agree with Chris I also think basket of fire. I grew apache last year and the pods on mine didn’t grow upright like that.

Comment

• Yes I agree, after I posted the pic I did think it was Basket of Fire as the chillies are growing upwards!

So chuffed!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Picked a load of mainly Jalapenos this evening and turned them into this
                          Attached Files
                          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

• Well, as of yesterday evening I now have a shipment of new seeds heading my way from the US, which is kind of novel in itself as up to now I've always sourced seed from UK based suppliers, (and a few like minded folks about the place ). Not that I'll do much with them once they arrive; mostly they'll just go straight into cold storage for the next 6 months(!) But hey at least it means there's no rush for them.

Lets just say I had a craving for new blood, and it's now been sated

On order include new (for me) Fatalii pepper strains; Red, and White. New Habanero; Giant White, and Mustard. Moruga Scorpion Green, Aleppo, Aji Strawberry, Sugar Rush peppers; Peach, and Creme. Ornamental Shu, which is variegated but supposedly with yellow streaks in the leaves, and Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow.

(Technically this post belongs on next year's chilli thread so apologies for that Mods, but I'm quite excited with my new finds )

^^^ Trip, those look awesome, wow!
                            Last edited by Philthy; 27-07-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Some random chilli progress pics..

Think we have Boras9, Dorset Naga from SP, a favourite of mine Ohnivec, Fish and Guindilla
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Tripmeup; 27-07-2018, 11:20 PM.
                              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

• Oddly enough I've been spending some time playing with chillies today after work.
                                Fed all my babies. Then turned all the chillies I've been drying for the last week into chilli powder.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2379713

Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2379714