X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    Here's my Dorset Naga (Monty)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]83093[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]83094[/ATTACH]

He's still growing. Over 4ft wide and over 4ft high at the moment.

Smaller pot slightly smaller plant. Still wouldn't call it compact though. Can't think of any super hots that stay small.

Wow that’s a tree!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by robbra View Post
      I've read the first 50 pages and the last 10, phew!
      I'm veering towards a compulsion to grow some chillies to complement my tomatoes. I bought a packet of six types from Wyevale for 50p so will sow those. I have what I believe are jalapeno growing at the moment at about 2' tall
      I'd really like a scorcher but limited to room so can anyone recommend a very, very, very hot one that is quite compact. Looked at naga jolokia, scotch bonnet, Jamaican red and Dorset naga but no details on how big they grow.
      Thanks
      Rob
      Jamaican red isn't a superhot afaik. In terms of size, pot size affects plant size so SP's monsters are in huge containers. In a small pot the plant will be much smaller but obviously will have fewer pods. They can fruit earlier, though.

This year I am growing chocolate nagabrain in small pots, they are very hot and relatively productive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
        This year I am growing chocolate nagabrain in small pots, they are very hot and relatively productive.
        What size pot are you using and roughly how pods are you getting per plant?
        Last edited by Scarlet; 03-09-2018, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• I'll have to rethink my ideas, no room for a giant Dorset that's for sure. I've seen a Thai compact that's quite hot or a use a smaller pot for a hot one as Mitzi says.
          I've ordered a heated propagator from Home*ase @£15 to give me a head start next year.
          Thanks to AO, SP and Mitzi.
          Rob

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotch bonnet B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	2380524 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotch bonnet A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2380525 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotch bonnet C.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	2380523

This is my Scotch Bonnet Red (first proper ripe ones of the year.. finally )
            It's in a 4lt pot.

As Mitzi said, pot size is relevant to plant size.
            Likewise selective pruning and shaping helps keep the plant contained.

Scotch Bonnets are hot enough for most people (especially if you're just starting out )

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              What size pot are you using and roughly how pods are you getting per plant?
              One plant is still in a pop bottle, it's a 1.75l coke bottle cut in half so the actual compost volume is considerably less than 1l. It produced and ripened 12 pods earlier in the summer and now has a second crop of about half that, but they are not ripe yet. The other plant was in a porridge pot (approx. 1/4 litre) for most of the year, went into a MFB in late July but was a little runty thing and is still tiny. I've had a couple of pods off it and it has about half a dozen more ripening. For the size of it, that is quite impressive, honest.

Compared to the Carolina Reaper in a chilligrow which managed a grand total of 6 pods all last year, half of which were miniscule, and although it is a much larger plant and dripping with flowers this year, it hasn't set a single pod.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                Scotch Bonnets are hot enough for most people (especially if you're just starting out )
                Yes, I find bonnets a nice heat, very usable. I've harvested the latest crop of my overwintered yellow SB at the weekend and said to my other half that I definitely want to keep it going another year if I can, as it is a good do-er and we like the end product.

Having said that, most people want to try at least one superhot; it's half the fun of growing chillies. In my experience people then go one of two ways, either "that's far too hot for me, I'll concentrate on growing things that are more useful" or "wow, that's incredible, must get me more of that heat".
                Last edited by Mitzi; 03-09-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Having said that, most people want to try at least one superhot; it's half the fun of growing chillies
                  I've got a trio of death earmarked for next year!
                  World's *official* hottest:
                  1) Carolina Reaper Chocolate
                  2) Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Yellow
                  3) Trinidad Douglah

The insane heat not actually the motivation to grow them, rather it's the colours and quirkiness that appeal most to me. I might try the odd one

Comment

One plant is still in a pop bottle, it's a 1.75l coke bottle cut in half so the actual compost volume is considerably less than 1l. It produced and ripened 12 pods earlier in the summer and now has a second crop of about half that, but they are not ripe yet. The other plant was in a porridge pot (approx. 1/4 litre) for most of the year, went into a MFB in late July but was a little runty thing and is still tiny. I've had a couple of pods off it and it has about half a dozen more ripening. For the size of it, that is quite impressive, honest.

Compared to the Carolina Reaper in a chilligrow which managed a grand total of 6 pods all last year, half of which were miniscule, and although it is a much larger plant and dripping with flowers this year, it hasn't set a single pod.
                    Some people only want to grow them to try to grow half a dozen pods so it's good to know pot size and yield.
                    As for the reaper...have you got it outside? I gave up growing outside and now only grow under glass because there often wasn't enough time to ripen.

Are they all second year plants?
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 03-09-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                      I've got a trio of death earmarked for next year!
                      World's *official* hottest:
                      1) Carolina Reaper Chocolate
                      2) Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Yellow
                      3) Trinidad Douglah

The insane heat not actually the motivation to grow them, rather it's the colours and quirkiness that appeal most to me. I might try the odd one
                      If your looking for quirkyness look at Spaghetti. https://www.seaspringseeds.co.uk/sho...li-seed-detail

Not particularly hot at all but beautiful Chillis.

Mine is laden with green pods (spaghetti!) which I’m leaving to ripen.

Comment

Having said that, most people want to try at least one superhot; it's half the fun of growing chillies. In my experience people then go one of two ways, either "that's far too hot for me, I'll concentrate on growing things that are more useful" or "wow, that's incredible, must get me more of that heat".
                        They aren't that useful to me! I've got a freezer full of superhots and I'm still growing more I can't seem to stop....I love the plants, the look of the pods and even though I'm not growing that many this year compared to other yesrs, I probably will end up freezing some again....but they are nice to gift and make great preserves for Christmas presents for the men!

Comment

Some people only want to grow them to try to grow half a dozen pods so it's good to know pot size and yield.
                          As for the reaper...have you got it outside? I gave up growing outside and now only grow under glass because there often wasn't enough time to ripen.

Are they all second year plants?
                          The Reaper is in its 2nd year. It was indoors all last year and for the first half of this year; it had only produced a few sporadic flowers which all dropped. I moved it outside at the start of July, and it seems to like it, as it now has what seems like hundreds of flowers. I've told it if it wants to be brought back indoors for the autumn it has to set at least six pods, otherwise it's destined for the compost heap.

Nagabrains were grown from seed this year. Definitely want to try overwintering one of the two plants to see how it goes in a second year.

Comment

They aren't that useful to me! I've got a freezer full of superhots and I'm still growing more I can't seem to stop....I love the plants, the look of the pods and even though I'm not growing that many this year compared to other yesrs, I probably will end up freezing some again....but they are nice to gift and make great preserves for Christmas presents for the men!
                            They are brilliant for bringing "the hotter the better, I can eat the hottest chillies, me" lads down to size. I took a pod to the pub on Saturday night, not even a superhot, it was one of my Ivory Coast chillies which are hot but not crazily so. The person who had asked for it took a bite, welled up, coughed and spluttered, declined to eat any more. The barman had a nibble, eyes watered, declined any more. A third guy had a bit and started sweating on his forehead. Fourth guy had some, had to go to the gents because he was salivating uncontrollably (I've had that reaction to a couple of chillies in my time.) My other half said "and that's not even one of the hot ones." Highly amusing.

Comment

• That was cruel Mitzi.
                              I'm interested in you pop bottle method. I remember seeing a picture somewhere in the depths of this thread but can't find it now.
                              Is it just cut the bottle top off and use the rest with drain holes? Doesn't it being transparent affect the roots? I think i'd try it next year.
                              Rob

Comment

• I am growing habaneros - orange and lemon. The plants are small and supposed to be prettt hot. Haven’t had any ripe chillis off them yet but they are on their way.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X