This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IainM View Post
    Not a bad place to be in Scarlet. I'm the other way round. I've got a grand total of 2 peach scorpions, 1 moruga brainstrain, 0 fatali, 0 bhut jokolia, 0 7 pot primo and 17 reapers. I've just built an overwintering spot though, so hopefully I can get some to ripen in there before trimming them down. Fingers crossed!
    Disappointing with the others, but 17 reapers should keep you going for quite a while, I would think! I'm the same as you, lots haven't ripened. Giving some plants awaytoday so hopefully the recipients will be able to ripen them.

Comment

• My chillies are ripening steadily at long, long last! Phew.. Just in time I reckon!

I've turned my GH into a hot box this last fortnight; had one of the roof vents open a crack so as not to get excessive condensation build up, but that's all. Other roof vent, sides, and door been sealed shut, exception of twice weekly watering. It's been getting up to high 20's inside during the day when the sun is on it. I cut back the tomato plants by 90% yesterday - there's a bit more fruit to come so left those trusses and a couple of leaves in place - to maximise sun from that end. I previously thinned out some of the bushier chillies too to expose more pods. Still feeding weekly but with lower strength seaweed extract; I'll probably do a final one next weekend and then that'll be it until next spring.
      Chocolate habanero, Espelette, Joes Long, Scotch Bonnet Red, Gusto, my mystery variety sold as Orange Thai, Feugo, Santaka.. these plants are mostly there.
      I seem to have acquired a Trinidad Perfume along the way, I lost the label for the plant ages ago and been waiting for it to fruit so I can work out what it is. I have no memory of sowing the seed or buying a plug, but okay.. Either way, that's the ripest of the lot so far. And it was on my grow list for next year, so I'm doubly happy
      Tokyo Hot.. bit sporadic still. Jalapeno is still all green but that's fine. I've got one fully ripe Paper Lantern pod when the others are still green, hmm. The other stragglers are Lemon Drop (surprising) and Apple Crisp, but they're coming. Ohhh yes

Happy Days
      Last edited by Philthy; 30-09-2018, 10:50 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Made some chilli chocolates this afternoon. May just hhave overdone it with the chilli powder. They are a bit fierce.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180930_153408.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2381002 hope this works!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• There was a mouse attack in the poly over the weekend.

They've been at the peppers and larger chilli pods. Eating round the pod on the vine (Is it a vine?)

Had a similar attack last year with scotch bonnet

Trapping season is here

Comment

• Lovely ristra, Florence.

Aargh 4Shoes that is so frustrating. I've had quite a bit of slug / snail damage since the heatwave ended (had hoped they would have died off in the dry weather but no such luck.) Mice must be worse, though.

Comment

• I get lots of mice...snapper traps are the only way.
                Mine are are steadily ripening indoors. It’s really made a huge difference - I think the outside nighttime temps stop them well and truly in their tracks.

Just parcelled up a little box for my best friend who lives in London....she is Sri Lankan and her Mum used to make the best food ever. Sadly she has passed but they still laugh at me as a young student trying to eat “senior” sambol...”seeni” because it was only for seasoned curry connoisseurs right?
                OMG....I can still remember the heat!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F46A5176-D8E9-4C0A-9954-1C460EDD7728.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2381007

Comment

• Anyone started working out what's on / off next years grow list?
                  Oddly enough I have

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    Anyone started working out what's on / off next years grow list?
                    Oddly enough I have
                    Yes, me! So far have narrowed it down to approx 50 "must grows". Have room for about 20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                      Yes, me! So far have narrowed it down to approx 50 "must grows". Have room for about 20.
                      Wow!.......and I thought I was weak willed
                      I'm being quiet brutal, from this years 39 varieties 15 are not getting grown again. And 4 varieties are having the number of plants reduced.

Comment

• I'm going to start looking for a new variety to grow next year. Fancy something different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scoot View Post
                          I'm going to start looking for a new variety to grow next year. Fancy something different.
                          What sort of thing are you after?

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                          Wow!.......and I thought I was weak willed
                          I'm being quiet brutal, from this years 39 varieties 15 are not getting grown again. And 4 varieties are having the number of plants reduced.
                          Interesting... what did those 15 varieties do wrong? Mind you, that still means you are growing at least 24 varieties with possibly some new ones to come?

I'm unlikely to grow any of the same varieties as this year, with the exception being anything that overwinters successfully. Oh and possibly Rocoto La Paz Rojo as that has been a real trooper and makes fantastic powder. Best thing from the seed swap last year.
                          Last edited by Mitzi; 08-10-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Interesting... what did those 15 varieties do wrong? Mind you, that still means you are growing at least 24 varieties with possibly some new ones to come?

I'm unlikely to grow any of the same varieties as this year, with the exception being anything that overwinters successfully. Oh and possibly Rocoto La Paz Rojo as that has been a real trouper and makes fantastic powder. Best thing from the seed swap last year.
                            A number of things, poor producers, difficult to harvest, to long to ripen ( even after the fantastic summer), to similar to others I'm growing or just don't like them.

I agree rocoto la Paz rojo is brilliant. Really like it. Growing that again.

Comment

• Last of the jalapeños harvested and cut down

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	2381046

Over 6 1/2kg

Comment

What sort of thing are you after?

I'm unlikely to grow any of the same varieties as this year, with the exception being anything that overwinters successfully. Oh and possibly Rocoto La Paz Rojo as that has been a real trooper and makes fantastic powder. Best thing from the seed swap last year.
                                I dont even know myself. Something quite hot and with biggish fruits.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X