This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Are they outside? In the GH? If the frost gets to them the peppers will go soft.
    They are outside at the moment, though I might move them indoor over night if it seems like a frost is coming. It's should be ok for the next week or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
      You guys are such an inspiration! I've already decided that next year the tomatoes are being evicted from the growhouse and I'm growing more chillies. Although my 'more' just means more than one! I don't even like spicy heat... although I do love chilli flavour.
      Haha! 1Bee.... I rarely eat a “dinner” with chilli in it! The OH, refuses to eat spicy food these days. I make chutneys, oil or pickles that I can add to my dish leaving his spice free....the bonus is I have plenty of gifts for Christmas. The extra bonus is people think I’m being generous - the truth is I need to make space for more crops

Comment

• Originally posted by IainM View Post
        They are outside at the moment, though I might move them indoor over night if it seems like a frost is coming. It's should be ok for the next week or two.
        Where at you? I’m in the south west and already my Dahlias have been frosted.

Comment

• I love spicy food, just not VERY spicy. I like eating to be pleasurable, not an endurance sport... That's very kind, Mitzi, but we have a short season, so long to ripen isn't going to be ideal. And I do like SOME heat, just not painful levels... It's fine if it makes your nose run, but not if it hurts the roof of your mouth... ;-)

Comment

• All mine are in now. Have seen a real difference sine they came in. Both the orange and lemon habaneros are changing colour. They are really small though. Not sure if they are meant to be.

Comment

• I grew Jalapeno "M" this year, did anyone else ?.
              No heat whatsoever, just a sweet pepper taste, pleasant enough but.....

Comment

• My Lemon Drop is finally turning; had all green pods last weekend, now it has at least four full yellow and others transitioning. That hot day yesterday (weds) seems to have provided the much needed kick up the proverbial to get them over the line.. Even the Tokyo Hot that I posted a picture of looking resolutely green has got it's act together; more orange to reds pods than green now.

The forecast here next couple of weeks looks fair, so mine will stay where they are for the time being. Good thing actually because the overwintering spot is currently out of commission for decorating
                (best get a move on with that me thinks, don't need to get caught out when the next cold snap comes with little warning..)

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Where at you? I’m in the south west and already my Dahlias have been frosted.
                  I'm in Cambridge, in the east / south east, so one of the UK's warmer spots (not that that counts for much!), plus a bit of urban heat island effect. It's forecast for as low as 8 on Sunday night, but otherwise lows should be above 10 for the rest of the week. Fingers crossed!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilli harvest resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	2381114

So did my first harvest in the sun yesterday. What a glorious day. Think it was perfect timing as we have the first dew this morning so they don't have long left before the weather starts to affect them. Second harvest will be a lot less, only be a few here and there. Maybe a small bucket
                    From left to right
                    Top row: Vietnamese Chilli I got in a restaurant in Hanoi, Paper Lantern, Random Chilis( Look like a cross between Jalapeno and Cayenne), Peach Habanero
                    Middle row: Ring of Fire, Yellow Bhut Jalokia, Orange Habanero, Cayenne
                    Bottom row: Devils Tongue Yellow, Jalapeno, Lemon Drop, Chocolate Habanero, Thai Hot Dragon

Dehydrator was going all night for chilli oil. Will do a few sauces over the next few days and definitely want to try that jalapeno relish above.

Comment

• A few more chillies cut down today. Now there is a bit of space in the tunnel you can see how big Monty (Dorset Naga) has got this year. I think he looks pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	2381126

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	2381127

From above, which was tricky. Holding camera above my head and had to guess

Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	2381128

Got lots of pods as well

Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	2381129

Comment

• Here's today's little harvest

Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	2381130

And I'm very impressed with moruga scorpion. Growing him again.

Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	2381131

Comment

• Very excited to report that I took the first ripe orange habanero off the plant and tasted it. It was pretty hot have to say. Also schoolboy error as I didn’t wash my hands well enough afterwards and must have touched my nose as it was glowing abc running for quite a while! Don’t care though it’s the first chilli I have had from the lemon and orange habanero plants I planted last year. Still got lots of chillis growing and ripening from last year and this years plants. The husband wants to make hot chilli sauce from them so have copied a couple of the recipes from this forum to try.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
                            I grew Jalapeno "M" this year, did anyone else ?.
                            No heat whatsoever, just a sweet pepper taste, pleasant enough but.....
                            I tasted 1 of my jalapenos yesterday and there the same no heat at all , aji, cayene,scotch and one unknown are a bit warmer though !!! time to harvest em .atb Dal

Comment

• I have created an aphid hotel. It was quite straight forward. I cleared a large shelf area, lined it with reflective insulation and tin foil, installed some grow lights and made a reflective door. The plants owned the place at first. Absolutely loved being bathed in intense light 16h a day. I've had another dozen 'reapers', a few 7 pot primo, bhut jolokia, peach scorpion and moruga brainstrain, and the fatali and doughlah are on their way. The new growth has been lush and green compared to the old leaves. However, the last few days aphids have set in at an alarming rate. This morning I got up early to trim off the worst areas and spray them with neem oil and soap solution. I barely had enough time and had to rush out the door without breakfast and run to get the bus to work, which I'm now sitting on and wondering what my colleagues will think of the fact that I stink of neem oil. Nobody has sat next to me.

Comment

• yellow monkey face

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	2381152

our farrier gave us these plants as seeds the yellow monkey face seem quite fierce

I am not quite sure what to do with them all

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X