Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those last pods look a lot like Jamaican Mushroom but that's supposedly an annuum and you have multiple pods per node, so I'm not sure. Proper mystery.

Comment

• well done philthy ,those ones on the right (thai dragon i think) look really good
      The Dude abides.

Comment

• Those last pods look a lot like Jamaican Mushroom but that's supposedly an annuum and you have multiple pods per node, so I'm not sure. Proper mystery.
        Agreed. This is just one example but it serves to highlight the irregularities with naming; some quite generic names over the years have been applied to the various cultivars, which I personnally think then get lost in translation. Orange Thai (original name these seeds were bought under) already is confirmed as belonging to another pepper with pods that bare no ressemblance to mine; different shape, size, and colour. And beyond that, the name could reasonably apply to a host of other varieties quite different from each other, so long as they're from Thailand, and transition through or mature as orange. The Jamaican Mushroom does look very, very similar. Even there, based on my own past searches, I identify that one as Jamaican Hot; I searched for both to check they were in fact the same pepper. At least with names like Fatalii, you know what you're getting

well done philthy ,those ones on the right (thai dragon i think) look really good
        Cheers Big L. Well, who knows; the Thai Dragon I'm familiar with have 3" long finger shaped pods, but depending on where you source your seeds from, as aforementioned, your perceptions could well differ completely from mine.
        Are you overwintering your plants this year?
        Seem to recall you saying you were going to downsize into smaller pots from what you've had growing in your GH(?)

Comment

• i was just going on the name on the photo you put up ,im not sure on the name of them , yes im going to try overwintering about 12- 15 of my chillis ,ive not had much success in the past over wintering but ill keep an eye on thinks in here and see how they do , the watering / non watering part still confuses me tbh , i dont have a greenhouse atm i built one with my dad ready for this season but we had some strong winds this spring ,they popped out a panel and the thing took off and landed a few plots over in a big heap of plastic sheet and twisted ally , i took it all apart yesterday and im going to use the area next to my shed for chillis in pots next year
          The Dude abides.

Comment

• also next year im only going to add a few extra types of hot chillis like choc habs and im also going to try some of the larger sweet type peppers too
            The Dude abides.

Comment

• yes mitzi i was looking at a few diff chilli sites and thats what i thought too https://www.chilliseedbank.com.au/jamaican-hot-red
              The Dude abides.

Comment

• Well that's it for the year. I've just cut down and harvested my last chilli in the tunnel. All that is left now is one stem of akabar, one stem of farmers market jalapeño (hoping they ripen so I can save seeds). Monty hasn't been touched yet. He will be harvested on Friday but he's not getting cut down till spring. Hopefully he will be shelter for any hibernating ladybirds.

Comment

• We had a number of frosts last week. I have lots of plants left outside. It's been interesting seeing how different plants respond. For example, I had read that rocotos are more cold-tolerant than most chillies (not frost-tolerant of course, but cold-tolerant.) However, the rocotos are very badly affected with pretty much all the leaves and stems badly affected. The baccatums, however, have a few tips shrivelled but mostly they look fine. So my very un-scientific observations involving 3 rocoto and 3 baccatum varieties lead me to conclude that the baccatums are more cold-tolerant than rocotos.

Most of the chinenses are damaged, certainly the softer tips and leaves, but the middle / base of the plants still look OK. The ones I brought indoors well before the frosts are still OK (except aphids, aarrgghh!) The ones I brought in to the kitchen just before frost was forecast have dropped lots of leaves and look far worse than the ones that stayed outside.

Annuums vary. Fish pepper was hit very hard by the lower temperatures even before we had frost. Now it looks pretty much dead. Chenzo (which might be a frutescens rather than an annuum?) has some shrivelled tips and has dropped some leaves but is still going. Twilight (seedling swap from SP) is hardly affected at all and still looks extremely healthy. Others vary but mostly the leaves are drooping and looking rather sick.

It's all fascinating.

Ground some Reaper powder this morning. I went full Breaking Bad - face mask, glasses, gloves. Well not the overalls I suppose, but I wasn't taking any chances.
                  Last edited by Mitzi; 06-11-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Not been a bad year for me chilli wise to be honest, not had the chance to be about with work commitments etc to post my progress and lost a few early on in the year, more through neglect than anything else, I have one "Lemon Drop" left to harvest from, well impressed with these babies, but the colder nights moving in, am not going to overwinter anything, and have made the desision to start afresh next year,

I was intrigued by VC's earlier post about "Victotiana Nursury" But have withstrained!
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Yesterday I harvested my last chilli Monty and worked out how many chillies I've grown this year.

Turns out it's quite a few.........

...........79kg 552g

Comment

• That’s some haul SP, your body weight in chillies!

Comment

• I have what I thought was a mix of orange and yellow habanero plants. Now getting chillis but all are orange. Can anyone tell me what sequence of colours you get for yellow ones ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                            That’s some haul SP, your body weight in chillies!
                            Oi ! My body weight!................ Well over my body weight

( I did just have to go weigh myself to check )

Comment

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                              I have what I thought was a mix of orange and yellow habanero plants. Now getting chillis but all are orange. Can anyone tell me what sequence of colours you get for yellow ones ?
                              Usually green to yellow. Sometimes maybe white/ cream to yellow. Never orange to yellow. That I know of.

Comment

• Oi ! My body weight!................ Well over my body weight
                                Haha.. with your boots, jacket, and a rucksack on of course (got to be accurate), did I not mention that?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X