Garlic sprout time

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic sprout time

I planted a mixture of different garlics at the end of November, when can I expect them to sprout?

Thanks

Dave, it mostly depends on the weather. They will make an appearance above ground at any time between now and March. They grow some roots first then send up a leaf spike second when they think the conditions are acceptable.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Great, thanks!

Comment

Haven't even put mine in yet....
        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I put mine in mid November, they finally made an appearance a few days ago, just poking through the mulch on my raised beds. The spares I planted in a large pot have also appeared.

Comment

Mine has a good 9 inches of growth.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              I put mine in mid November, they finally made an appearance a few days ago, just poking through the mulch on my raised beds. The spares I planted in a large pot have also appeared.
              Just noticed today, that some of mine are poking through as well

Comment

Mine's being slow too- the overwintering shallots I planted at the same time are well up, but the garlic's still invisible, both elephant and normal.
                My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Technically not a garlic but a leek but look, smell and taste very similar!!
                  I planted 16 elephant garlic in large cups in the greenhouse late October to bring them on a bit, then transplanted them to a large trug type planter in November outside just before that really cold spell. Thought I had lost them but one just appeared this morning, hopefully the rest will follow shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Griff View Post
                    Technically not a garlic but a leek but look, smell and taste very similar!!
                    I planted 16 elephant garlic in large cups in the greenhouse late October to bring them on a bit, then transplanted them to a large trug type planter in November outside just before that really cold spell. Thought I had lost them but one just appeared this morning, hopefully the rest will follow shortly.
                    At £2.99, I could only afford two cloves of elephant garlic. I thought i would give them a good start in life by devoting a large pot about 10 inch diameter to each, and filled with MPC .
                    I planted about a month ago and kept pots in the summerhouse, I was a bit worried they had rotted. Yesterday I had a bit of a furtle on the surface and could see the green growth starting, the tip of which was an inch under the compost. Phew!! sez I.

Plan si to use one to increase my stock for next year and eat the other!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      At £2.99, I could only afford two cloves of elephant garlic. I thought i would give them a good start in life by devoting a large pot about 10 inch diameter to each, and filled with MPC .
                      I planted about a month ago and kept pots in the summerhouse, I was a bit worried they had rotted. Yesterday I had a bit of a furtle on the surface and could see the green growth starting, the tip of which was an inch under the compost. Phew!! sez I.

I paid £3.50 for one clove about 4 years ago and have re used what I have grown each year to grow more, last year was the first year I actually harvested some to eat and it was beautiful. This year I will hopefully get plenty to eat and also enough to re plant about 20 bulbs for next year.

Comment

Griff don't forget the small corms that grow just under the skin they are about the size of my finger tip and half round in shape ,you'll find these when you havest them,save them to plant about now ,they grow into round bulbs that will give you proper cloves the following year! bit of a faf but they don't take up much room and it's getting somat for nowt that I like ! atb Dal
                        Last edited by Dalrimple; 18-01-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Elephant garlic cloves are excellent roasted along with peppers etc.

Comment

I had a look at my elephants today and they are peeping out ,I could just make out the ivory tips ! my real garlic is doing well 4inch (100mm) green spikes and 100 % germination! atb Dal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X