No announcement yet.

Carrot seed lifespan - a warning!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I chit parsnip seed and haven't had a problem - but I haven't chitted carrot seed. Maybe that's something to do one evening when it's a little warmer. Mine are all fairly old and kept in a centrally heated flat, so probably viability is speeding downhill! (VSP seeds are kept in the coolest room, in a chest of drawers!)
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Carrot seeds are so tiny, I can't imagine being able to sow them without damaging them once chitted.

Last year, all my carrot seeds were in their sow-by year, but I'd had them a while. Out of a total of maybe 1500 seeds sown, three or four germinated. Very disappointing! I'm going for all new seeds next year. One year, I had brilliant carrots, so I know it can be done. I presumed it was the regular watering pre-germination, but it could be that part of it was because the seeds were all new. (That year I grew Amsterdam Sprint, Nantes, Rouge de Sang, Spanish Black and Autumn King, and they all did well.)

Comment

I've just looked at my carrot seeds
        I've only got 2 packets in date!
        Lots of mine were packed date rather than sow by. Oldest packed date is 2013, most 2014, one 2015 &. One 2017.
        Sow by date, oldest 2014 and 2017,19 & 21.
        Think I will be sowing lots of carrots next year.

Comment

I read in the past that they could be iffy on next year germination but when I've done viability tests and subsequent sowings I've had no problems at all. I eat a lot of carrots but usually grow at least 3 varieties so each packet lasts about 3 years. Perfectly good germination and crops so long as you don't sow too early as they don't like the cold

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X