Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
    just split 4 bulbs of "Picardy White" which I bought last year and never got planted, but I'll stick em in modules and leave em in the polytunnel and use as a bonus crop if they amount to anything, really want to get hold of some "Casablanca" which is a lovely garlic and fairs better in my colder Northern regions!
    Deano my garlic has just arrived and it's Casablanca!
    Wilko Bulbs Garlic 3pk at wilko.com

It does actually say Casablanca in the write up. I didn't notice

Comment

I'm really worried about my garlic I planted it about 3 weeks ago and it's been raining a lot of late soo hoping it doesn't rot :/
      Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

^^ It's likely to be OK. What kind of soil do you have? I have clay and sometimes, when it's been raining really hard, it goes the consistency of thick soup and garlic will still grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
          Deano my garlic has just arrived and it's Casablanca!
          Wilko Bulbs Garlic 3pk at wilko.com

It does actually say Casablanca in the write up. I didn't notice
          And you won't be disappointed SP!

They reckon with it being a Dutch bulb and being colder tolerant you can actually get it to colonise and grow in your favoured conditions!

I did try a few year's back, but family issues got in the way!

But still a defoe on my "To Do" list!
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Well! They've all "Fired"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2770 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	2376328

Need to get some "Casablanca" for spring!
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Leaping on to the thread here... My garlic is looking good except for the rust and except that the cloves hadn't formed when I pulled one up for a peek.. I think they're not ready as the cloves haven't formed (or rather that the skin hasn't hardened between the cloves), but should I just pull them up anyway because of the rust or wait until they start drooping at the top? Also as a side note my shallots are trying to flower.. I'm snipping off the scapes but should I perhaps just pull those up too? So many questions.. Grateful for your expertise!

Comment

Planted about 100 garlic cloves last November. The first to show was the Early Wight. So when I noticed yesterday that a couple were starting to throw up their flower spikes, I pulled one up to see if it was ready. Very pleased with the result

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2378490
                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Finley, try dusting with a bit of ash or some other antifungal treatment (some people use milk or neem oil, plenty of info on the web). To be honest, I just let them grow on. After all the effort I've been to planting them and they've been to by growing, I just let them get on with it. I've heard that garlic that has suffered from rust doesn't store as well, but other people say it makes no difference to the bulb. I haven't paid enough attention/kept records to be able to say.

Comment

Great, thanks for that advice... Let it be is my favourite form of gardening!

Comment

vince is that a 20p ? lol Dal.

Comment

haha, 50p Dal !
                        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Garlic harvest. Not as good as some previous years, but still worthwhile

Name:	20180719_193927.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2379515 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_195217.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2379516 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_195301.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB