Use of Terram or other Geotextile

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Terram or other Geotextile

Does anyone have experience of using Terram or something like it to create a barrier between the base of a bed and invasive roots? I have a new allotment plot overrun with reeds and after digging down and removing much of the root i want to box the beds in with Terram or something like and then pile the earth back on.

Looking at getting a small pack of this: Terram Geotextiles | Filtration | Separation | T1000 | Road Construction

Thanks

I put mypex under some beds a while ago,never again,the strong weeds still come up though the stuff,plus,you cannot put canes in the ground easy,any long rooted plants you put in,will either pierce the cover or grow crooked,my beds were a plank depth,i also believe the ground does push up eventually,leaving it shallow,and is a hard job to remove it,if you change your mind,so for me never again,we have lots of horsetail.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

What about the membrane used to contain bamboo?
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I have five raised beds, one sitting on concrete, and I still get tree roots into it, though easy enough to go round the edges and sever them, some of the others were sitting on weed suppressant membrane, one I had to clean out last year as it was full of roots, contents of which are now in builders rubble bags sitting on a double layer of membrane, the other w/o are fine so far, for the fifth I used the mat from an old trampoline, and if I could afford to put that below all my raised beds that what I would go for as it is extremely strong, able to keep tree roots out and allows water to soak away, so if you can find someone the an old trampoline get it, and what LD has said is a relevant factor, the depth is important especially if you want to support plants with stakes or make a support for peas or beans, the depth of my beds are 30 inches plus
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X