Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First and Second Early Potatoes

First, Happy New Year everybody!

I grew first and second early potatoes for the first time last year. Although, when harvested, the yield was not very good the flavour of what we did get was delicious. I want to grow them again this year and would like some advice before I get off on the wrong foot again. I have chosen a new site in my garden for the potatoes which at the moment is growing winter brassicas.

The questions I would like to ask are:

I understand that potatoes are heavy feeders. When I prepare the ground for planting and as I do not have any suitable compost to dig in or line the trench with can I use commercially made manure like Gro Sure Farm Yard Manure?

What granular fertilizer should I also use?

I want to purchase the seed potatoes soon so I do not miss out on the varieties I would like but I’m concerned about them sprouting too soon. What is the best way to keep the seed potatoes until I am ready to start chitting them?

And finally, as I said above I am going to grow first and second early potatoes. I know that they should be planted March-April but what would be their harvest times. I intend to grow Arran Pilot and Maris Peer.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can give me some advice.

Best regards,
    Greg

sigpic

Hi Arts. I find with spuds if I use FYM or compost I lose half the crop to slugs. Instead, at planting time each tater gets a good handful of blood, fish & bone.
    Re storing until time to chit, any cool frost-free place should do, mine are in the garage which really is a bit too dry but I don't trust the shed not to freeze.
    Re time to harvest, (running off the top of my head here), 1st earlies are usually ready 12-16 weeks after planting, 2nd earlies 16-20 weeks, depending of course on weather conditions
    Hope this helps.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Slightly different.
      Have been growing first and second early in tubs the last few years in usual compost. On advice given I bought bags of potato compost and had the best crops I have ever had with an even better taste. The used compost was clean and used it for potting on strawberry runners which with some growmore which are doing well.
      Bob.

Comment

If the pots are chittin too early for your liking just rub/snap them off, theyll grow back fine.

Comment

bags of potato compost and had the best crops I have ever had with an even better taste. The used compost was clean and used it for potting on strawberry runners
          One thing that shouldn't follow potatoes, is strawberries.
          It's all too easy to pass on Verticillium wilt from the potatoes to the strawberries

I hope you are lucky enough to avoid it.
          Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 19-01-2018, 04:16 PM. Reason: to add quote

Comment

I usually aim to plant my potatoes to sprout above the surface just after the last frosts have passed. I also have heard advice to plant your earlies late and your main crops early for best results (I guess better light and avoiding late frosts for earlies and longer growing time for mains). I usually start having a little furtle under the soil a week after the flowers have come on my earlies and have found better crops if I'm not impatient and wait for the flowers to be going over. It all pretty much depends on weather I think.

Comment

Hello Mr Bones. Thank you for the valuable advice. Can't wait to get planting!!!

Best regards,
              Greg

sigpic

Comment

If you are in Devon, are you anywhere near the coast?, I grow my tatties in big tubs and first put about 4-6ins of seaweed in the bottom and put the battles on this then cover with some cheap compost to about 6ins deep, thenI put a handful of potato fertiliser on top and fill up the tub, I found no difference with topping up gradually or filling the tub, so just need to keep them watered, not a big problem around here, just hope we get the sun we never got last year....your tactics will taste like jerseys, lovely..
                Last edited by BUFFS; 26-01-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Hello BUFFS. Thanks for all that advice. All thought we live in rural mid Devon it would not be difficult to go to the coast to collect seaweed. Exmouth or Dawlish would be easy. I could take my wife then she can't complain that I don't take her anywhere!

Best regards,
                  Greg

sigpic

Comment

^ You channelling Rary there?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      ^ You channelling Rary there?
                      I don't understand what you mean by that Snoop
                      Or possibly you have the wrong opinion of me
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X