Yellow courgette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow courgette

I've decided to try courgette for the first time this year. Because you don't get many seeds in a pack I thought I'd buy a couple of packs, but then I thought I'd buy two different types so the second pack are yellow ones (Golden Glory F1 Hybrid) and I was wondering if anyone here had tried them.

Also they are supposed to be able to be grown outside but I live in the north east and I wonder if my climate will be too cold.

You'll enjoy growing those, D, great plants, but don't sow them yet, they're originally from Mexico so don't tolerate frosts! You wouldn't even start them off inside until May, and you wouldn't sow them outside until June once there's no chance of a late frost. They grow really fast. They'll definitely need to end up outside - they're big! Check on the packet whether the ones you've bought are "bush" or "trailing" - both types need a lot of space. But once you get them going they're brilliant, you'll be over-run with courgettes.
    Two sites to visit about growing courgettes, the first one is on this GYO site:
    Growing Courgettes | How To Grow | Grow Your Own
    And the second is RHS:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-y...les/courgettes
    Do let us know how you get on! Good luck with them.

Comment

Thanks for that Bazza. I didn't intend sowing them yet but I will probably do it under glass when I do sometime in late spring.
      Last edited by Dynamo; 26-01-2018, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Yellow are much better than green, less watery.
        You should be giving them away as you will get that many!
        Jimmy
        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I've not grown the variety you've got, Dynamo. But we love yellow courgettes. They're pretty prolific but the ones we've had (I've grown a few varieties) are a bit slower to grow to ballistic missile size, so very handy. And I agree with Jimmy: the taste is a bit creamier and the texture is a bit firmer. Delicious!

Comment

The number of varieties is bewildering. Moreveg list 27.

Unfortunately unlike tomatoes the don't seem to be discussed much.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
              The number of varieties is bewildering. Moreveg list 27.

Unfortunately unlike tomatoes the don't seem to be discussed much.
              Agreed. But there will be more discussion here as the season progresses:
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...8-a_95539.html

Comment

Going to try Sunstripe F1 Hybrid

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/co...brid/gww4950TM

They looked nice and never grown yellow before.

We had lots of Green "Marrows" last year and a few courgettes. You turn your back for a week or 2
                We weren't here enough to keep them in check

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  Yellow are much better than green, less watery.
                  That might be a personal opinion or preference, but I don't think there's any evidence for it as a generalisation.

Comment

I find yellow tend to be less vigorous than green. I grew Shooting Star last year (a yellow that's supposed to climb). I found they had to be picked small otherwise they went mouldy from the flower.

Comment

I agree - in my experience the yellow are less vigorous/ have fewer fruits.

I tried an yellow,bumpy Italian variety last year, Zuchetta Rugosa Friulana. It was fun but not as many fruits and yes, many started to rot before they were ready to be picked.

I also grew Romanesco, as it is consistently our favourite:it has more flavour than others (kind of nutty?) and they are very pretty sliced into rounds - they look like little cogs.

Whatever you grow don't plant too many and pick 'em daily when they are small!

Comment

My wife won't let me grow the yellow ones as she says they taste inferior. I think really she's just frightened of them. There's one called Atena Polka which is very very productive.
                        He-Pep!

Comment

I've never had any success with yellow courgettes, my neighbour has fantastic crops from them though. This thread is making me want to try again
                          My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I grew Atena one year and it was very productive. The next year it failed miserably. Also, I find that the yellow ones often have blemished skin while the green ones don't.
                            The other thing I've learnt about courgettes is that one year you'll be inundated with them, so you don't grow as many plants the following year. That year, they're hopeless and you have very few - so the next year you grow more plants and...........so it goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              one year you'll be inundated with them, so you don't grow as many plants the following year. That year, they're hopeless and you have very few - so the next year you grow more plants and...........so it goes on.
                              YES! This is exactly how it goes.
                              My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X