Carrot seed storage confusion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrot seed storage confusion

So was looking at my seeds trying to organise myself for approx sowing times to plan when I'm going to plant stuff. Was reading my carrot packets (purple dragon and Lisse De Meaux) from the place that only sells proper seeds mainly in brown paper bags.
    The packs say you may as well plant it all as carrot seed doesn't keep, but their website says carrot seed can keep 2-3 years. So question is which is right?

I "think" they're saying that for the best germination rates, sow them fresh, after that the success rate falls over the following 2 years. Bit like parsnips - they can grow from older seed but most people will sow only fresh seed as you lose so much time waiting for signs of germination.

Comment

That's kind of the thought I had, just a bit annoying that they give two different bits of advice in different areas of their operation. Does anyone here have any advice on saving carrot seeds? As on website it talks about forty carrots to be kept for growing on next year, does it really have to be that many? I'd end up with carrot seed all over the place.

Comment

I'd say it really is 1 year only, with germination in year 2 being around 1% (parsnips in year 2 ~5%).

I've saved carrot seeds for years, often as few as 6 plants, and haven't noticed any deterioration. Remove any Queen Anne's lace, because it crosses, though it tends to flower earlier.

Comment

Ah OK, well I might as well give some carrot seed away, if anyone is interested I have a bit of Lisse De Meaux available if someone fancies giving them a go. Probably only enough for one person this year I'm afraid, although if I do manage to propagate some I'm guessing I should have plenty next year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X