Loganberry advice, please...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loganberry advice, please...

Hi everyone. I have a loganberry plant which has been in the ground for the last two years... maybe three. It's getting on my nerves because it's spreading too much. When would be a good time to dig it up and put it in a pot? Is there a good time even? Failing that, I think I might just get rid as the squirrels ate more of the fruit than I did...

I don't think it would do at all well in a pot, they are vigorous with a big root ball.
    Have you been pruning it at all? You should be cutting the fruited canes down to ground level each year - which would keep it under control.

Comment

If you don't want it, best just to get rid of it and pant something you do want. If you want a plant from it in a different place, then let one of the tips of the new years shoots rest on the ground and it will make a new plant. Waste of time trying to grow one in a container IMO

Comment

If you do want to reposition it. Then do it now. I did mine last week and noticed new growth coming. Best to move when still dormant.
        As has already been said, it's not going to like being in a pot. Also agree if you're not that fussed about it rip it out and have the space for something you like.

Thelma I've been treating mine like raspberries. Leaving last years new growth. Should I be chopping everything down to ground level?

( Could a lovely mod move this to feeling fruity please )

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post

Thelma I've been treating mine like raspberries. Leaving last years new growth. Should I be chopping everything down to ground level?

( Could a lovely mod move this to feeling fruity please )
          You've been doing it correctly as loganberries fruit on last year's growth - if you cut everything off you won't get a crop.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post

I did say "You should be cutting the fruited canes down to ground level " not all of them - so you are doing ok

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies everyone; you've been very helpful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X