Using pots and containers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using pots and containers

I will be growing potatoes in pots this year I have used pot in the past, but was wondering where is the best place to put the holes in something like a flower bucket I have some large commercial plant pots with holes on the bottom but also square holes on the edge of the base plate which would let water out if it is sitting flat on a solid surface blocking the drainage from the base, also if I put holes on the side of the flower buckets would it help by keeping a small reservoir, or am I just giving myself a bit of extra work.
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

I put them in the side of flower buckets so that they hold some water.

Comment

What potato variety do you plan on growing in said container?

Some years ago now I tried using a sack thing picked up from some shop; it had drainage holes in the form of metal eyelets stamped into the base and carry handles (pointless really). Theory was that you just rolled the top right down to begin with and then gradually unrolled it bit by bit to add the layers of soil. It did for one summer and then the stitching started coming apart. In hindsight an empty compost sack would've worked just as well and would've had the advantage of being free. Live and learn
      Think I did Charlotte. I got a fair few but they were all small. Perhaps didn't water enough.

Comment

I've been putting the holes in the bottom - but just because I can stack 3 of them up and use a long heated skewer to do 3 at a time.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

We have holes in the sides of our builders buckets
          Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I put them in the side of flower buckets so that they hold some water.
            That's what I do, its easy then to make a selfwatering pots by pushing wicking fabric into the holes and standing the buckets on trays.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have my holes in the bottom for the same reason as Jay-ell, however because small holes can get blocked easily and I have it to hand I use 15mm copper pipe.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

If I use compost bags I make a load of holes along the base & lowdown on the sides for better drainage/air needs to get in,the holes get blocked easily. Holes at the bottom for everything,I find a lot of worms in my containers,if they’re eating bits of compost & leaving faeces around my potatoes that’s good

Comment

I like Vcs reasoning , and can understand doing it that way and also like Brens idea of wicking water in to the bucket, that could save a lot of problems, as for the variety I will be growing that depends on what's available
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                    I like Vcs reasoning , and can understand doing it that way

Another reason for holes on the side is...........if the bucket is on a paved area the water cannot drain away unless the pot is raised off the ground. On soil, its not a problem.

Comment

I have some 30 litre buckets with holes in the bottom and square holes around the edges of the bottom - this helps if they are sitting in a tray of water as they can still breathe. Some of the buckets don't have the holes in the bottom, just around the edges of the bottom.

If you are standing the pot in a water tray or on a hard surface it probably doesn't matter which sort you have, but I have found if you stand the buckets on soil you get a much bigger crop from the buckets with holes in the bottom, probably because the roots grow through the holes and into the soil. As a comparison, last year I got 0.65kg Charlotte potatoes from 1 bucket without the holes in the bottom(3 seed potatoes), whereas the bucket next to it, which did have holes retained its foliage for about another month after the other had died down, and produced 1.9kg Charlotte potatoes from 3 seed potatoes. I can't be absolutely certain that it was the holes that made the difference, as the compost was not exactly the same, but in general I got more and bigger potatoes from all the buckets that had holes with roots growing through than I did from those (of other varieties or in other positions) with no holes in the bottom. The Charlotte were the only ones which had holes and no holes side by side and the same variety of potato.
                      Last edited by Penellype; 31-01-2018, 08:19 PM.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

[QUOTE=rary;1576503]I will be growing potatoes in pots this year I have used pot in the past, but was wondering where is the best place to put the holes in something like a flower bucket I have some large commercial plant pots with holes on the bottom but also square holes on the edge of the base plate which would let water out if it is sitting flat on a solid surface blocking the drainage from the base, also if I put holes on the side of the flower buckets would it help by keeping a small reservoir, or am I just giving myself a bit of extra work.[/QUOTE
                        Decide which you prefer , TOTAL DRAINAGE or Resovoir...[If you put large holes in sides its easy access for Slugs)
                        I put holes in bottom of MFB's and put 4 pop bottle tops underneath the bucket ,Like legs/feet, held in place with silicone
                        Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                          I have found if you stand the buckets on soil you get a much bigger crop from the buckets with holes in the bottom, probably because the roots grow through the holes and into the soil....... in general I got more and bigger potatoes from all the buckets that had holes with roots growing through than I did from those (of other varieties or in other positions) with no holes in the bottom.
                          Yes indeed, Penellype, you've hit on what's fast becoming a classic exhibition technique. Lots of YouTube videos about it, e.g. have a look at:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz2aJne8Njg
                          bb

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X