No announcement yet.

2018 Tromba Competition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop I,have to tell you I talk to them, it was either talk to the or talk to VC and I reckon I get more sense from the plants
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
      I will give it a go VC as I received my seed in the post to. yesterday if you need some let me know
      Originally posted by rary View Post
      Snoop I,have to tell you I talk to them, it was either talk to the or talk to VC and I reckon I get more sense from the plants
      Tell me rary, who "talked" you into growing these? Bet you're pleased you listened to me now.

Comment

• You got 2 great looking plants there Rary,mine seem so far behind for some reason,but little tromas are forming,just hope they get pollinated,will keep an eye out and step in if need be.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• had a look at the trombo in the greenhouse its about 6ft. tall a number of side shoots but not a flower and yet the ones outside have a number of fruits and lots of flowers, don't know if its the growing medium, they are growing in a bag made up with shredded plants and bushes, several bags of seaweed and course sand with a couple bags of manure, or the bit of stress that they were exposed to when first planted out as there were several very cold nights, I am now going to start feeding the one in the greenhouse every third day with a diluted comfrey, seaweed mix to see what happens
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• So how big are you letting the fruit get before harvesting?
            Should we be measuring "length" or "girth" so to speak?

Comment

• Are you asking about the Competition or about eating them?

Comment

• My competition ended when the flowers turned into veg. Win win!!

When are they at their best for eating?
                Min size for harvesting before they develop into squash.

Comment

• Apparently 6 to 8 inches is the size to harvest.
                  Slicing thinly and baking to make crisps is leading the thought process of what to do with them.
                  Although, I will leave 1 to mature just to keep in the Competition.

(G00Gle's got your back!)

Comment

• When they are small, anything you can do with courgettes you can do with Trombas. When they are big use them like courgettes or butternuts, although they aren't as sweet.
                    I often use them thinly sliced instead of the pasta sheets in a Lasagna or similarly, in a Moussaka instead of the aubergine.

Comment

• My first 2 didn't get pollinated properly so the ends are soft (need to use them quick). The 3rd one is looking promising.

Comment

• I'm assuming that because all the seeds are at one end, they'll be great for making courgetti, which I love, fad or no fad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                          I'm assuming that because all the seeds are at one end, they'll be great for making courgetti, which I love, fad or no fad.
                          they are at the bulb end,the main stem is pure meat,no seed caveties at all,
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                            I'm assuming that because all the seeds are at one end, they'll be great for making courgetti, which I love, fad or no fad.
                            My wife and I eat low carb so cougetti is a very firm favourite, hence our mass of courgettes. I've not picked a tromb yet so tomorrow a few are getting eaten!

Comment

• They're quite firm compared to normal courgettes, I think, perhaps because all the seeds are contained into a small space.
                              I grated them into all stews and casseroles and pasta sauces that I made last time I grew them - great fillers. I also turned them into courgetti with a special peeler that makes them into ribbons. Awesome little thing, and the 'pasta' tastes just like normal pasta lol
                              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• This one is already bigger than 8" and not pollinated yet (my hand to show the size). The smaller one behind also looks firm and good.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	R0015016s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	2379099

These two have been discarded, bad pollination or more probably too much heat/not enough water (I was on vacation). I harvested them after taking this photo, they are usable as a filler.

Name:	R0015018s.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	2379100

And this one could grow to some nice shape if it grows.

Name:	R0015020s.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2379101

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X