No announcement yet.

2018 Tromba Competition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I consider courgettes and squashes pollinated when they close flower. But it still doesn't mean that it will grow. I have some theories about this but mostly, I think, it depends on how happy the plant is and on variety.
    So far, I had two trombas, both harvested because they were going soft. One was thick and firm in the beginning but the end was soft and the other one was very long and thin, similar to the Rary's one.
    I think the taste is milder than courgettes and the flesh is firmer and crunchier. It has its use but I think I like normal courgettes more.

Comment

• ^The flowers close after a while, regardless of whether they've been pollinated or not. But I agree, a happier plant enjoying all the right conditions is likely to be more productive.

And I have to admit, I cheat: I pollinate by hand, so I can't help you, SC. Somebody else will be able to, for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
        ^The flowers close after a while, regardless of whether they've been pollinated or not. But I agree, a happier plant enjoying all the right conditions is likely to be more productive.
        My observation is that they close after 2 or 3 days, depending on weather, if not pollinated.
        If hand-pollinated, they usually close after few hours.
        And even if hand-pollinated, they often just die off without growing.
        I also try to hand-pollinate but these days, flowers are not yet opened in the evening and already closed in the afternoon when I get to them. Not sure if it is because I have four plants and lot of insects around or because of the hot weather.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
          And one of my tromba plants has produced these
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]81754[/ATTACH]

I think the ravens must have been playing tricks on me.
          I'm trying very very hard not to say anything norty about your 2 spherical objects but I'm sure you can all guess what I'm thinking.
          They look "interesting" though.

Comment

• ^^Yerss... that's what I was thinking too
            The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• ^^^^ You have lost me again
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Ani View Post
                I think the taste is milder than courgettes and the flesh is firmer and crunchier. It has its use but I think I like normal courgettes more.
                As I said that one yesterday was pulled because it was yellowish, I fried it along with round or ball courgette, and a regular shaped one and found it to be milder taste but firmer to bite into, and my big one is now 30inches and I am tempted to pull it to see how it tastes, though I may make soup with it. Decisions, decisions
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• My tromba in the ikea bag is going from strength to strength. I harvested the first tromba yesterday and ate the whole thing for tea

There are at least four more fruits growing large left on the plant, and more coming. The other two trombas are coming on too, but they're growing differently - they're both in the ground.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20180715_135806.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2379393

Name:	20180715_135757.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	2379394
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ani View Post
                    My observation is that they close after 2 or 3 days, depending on weather, if not pollinated. If hand-pollinated, they usually close after few hours.
                    That's interesting. I've not grown any veg in the UK so conditions must be different. Here, any courgette, squash or melon flower (male or female) that opens in the morning has closed up by mid-afternoon. Must be the heat, I suppose.

Rary, is it cool enough where you are to make soup? I envy you.

Comment

• Is it one of the blue Ikea bags Sarriss?

Comment

• Snoop its always cool enough for soup

The temperature was away up at 18c today

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                          Is it one of the blue Ikea bags Sarriss?
                          Yes, a big one, and the tromba is planted in a corner. I used compost that is actually intended for aquatic use, so lots of choir in there. I've added chicken manure to all trombas too.
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• If the tromba's in a corner, does that mean you have something else planted in the bag too?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	2e3n4c.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	2379406

It had to be done!!

Comment

• I decided to pull my big one, and it actually came away quite easily, so I the no if I had left it on a bit longer it would have broke off by its self the length is 29in. X 7ins girth, and he are are a couple of photos to show itClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180716_163330_hdr.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	2379407

Name:	IMG_20180716_164016.jpg
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	2379408

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X