2018 Tromba Competition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The above should read doesn't want to go out
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• I have got another 1 at home,long and thin so far.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• I've got three that were not pollinated. They're growing longer. I guess they'll still be OK to eat (can't think of any reason why not, but it seems wrong somehow!).

Here's a question: do you peel them?

I presume yes if stored for squash but what about if using for courgettes? The skin seems quite hard, much harder than a courgette.

Comment

• I have been peeling mine and removing the core - used a third of one in a tray of roasted veg - very nice - was talking to someone today and he told me that a person was selling them today at a market - said an Indian bought 6 - apparently they roast them round the meat!

Comment

• I definitely don't peel mine - it softens nicely when it cooks. I prefer my veg to have a bit of bite anyway. Mine aren't suffering the rot either, in fact, I have quite a few flowers at the moment, and the trombas on there are really rather large!
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• We have had some cold overnight temperatures here this week the greenhouse was down to,8c. so can I leave my trombos growing (or do they stop growing with the cold) the top leaves are definitely on the turnClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_191139_hdr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	2380209
              as can be seen in the photo and the trombos are showing some stressClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_190656_hdr.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2380210
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Though there are one or two still looking fineClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_191010_hdr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2380211
                This one actually has the knob on the end its the only one like thatClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_190836_hdr.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2380212
                and on this one I have held a fifty pence piece onto it to give you an idea of the girth of itClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_190927_hdr.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2380213
                Unfortunately my grandson wanted his fifty pence back

Comment

• So what I thought was a volunteer tromba insidethe greenhouse turned out to be a rampant Jack o Lantern. I did a panic sow and one of the squash plants I transferred up to the allotment finally got a grip and started being rampant. Now producing fruit. But yours all look like whoppers compared to mine.

I have a girth problem... and perhaps even, I’m not happy with the length
                  http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• The trombas are quite courgette-like. Are they summer squash or could they be left on to mature even more for storing over winter?
                    http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• You can eat them green like courgettes or leave them to ripen for winter storage, they aren't as sweet as some of the other winter squash though.

I like the look of some of the recipes for Tromba here
                      https://figjamandlimecordial.com/201...t-tromboncino/

Comment

• I removed one yesterday to make soup with and never photographed it but I still have the curly oneClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180827_111506_hdr.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2380364 this one looks ok but the other ones still on the plant, like the one I used yesterday are rotting at the point, which means I won't be able to save seeds

Comment

• Just a few photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000595.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	2380419

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000597.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	2380420

got two more big ones at the lottie.

Comment

• ^Love both of those Ms T, especially the top one.

My plant has given up the ghost. We've had a couple of chilly nights and it seems to have decided autumn is here and that's that. All yellow and sad looking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                              My plant has given up the ghost. We've had a couple of chilly nights and it seems to have decided autumn is here and that's that. All yellow and sad looking.
                              Mine too Ho hum....there's always next year and I'll have one outside and one inside and compare

Love those two Trombos....top one looks like a white cobra!!!
                              If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• We had to use the blue pen to record the 6.30am temperature today
                                Trombas still seem to be OK, but I'm starting to worry.
                                My spaghetti squash survived a few slightly below zero mornings last September and October so I'll probably take the risk.
                                Fingers, toes, and legs crossed
                                The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X