Succumbed to "germinate now" madness

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Succumbed to "germinate now" madness

I'm the latest victim of the "get the seed packets opened now" bug which has been doing the rounds on this forum. In my particular case I've got some Kelvendon Wonder pea seeds started and put in containers for now, ready to plant out later.

If, as I fully expect it to, disaster strikes due to me taunting the weather Gods, people will be blamed (you all know who you are with your tales of tomato seedlings). If on the other hand everything goes swimmingly and I get an early crop, I shall be proclaiming myself the new visionary of early sowing horticulture. :-)

Peas should be fine, although I tend to find that the slightly later sowings do catch up with the very early ones. None of the tomatoes I've sown so far are going anywhere near outside.

Anyway, if you find that the ground is frozen solid and you can't plant out your peas, just eat them as pea shoots and sow some more!
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

With the forecast for February I am doing my best to sit on my hands for the time being but like you Nick I am itching to get my first sowing of early peas in.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have already sown some early Winterkefe mangetout (I had lost my saved seeds but was rescued by a kindly forum member who still had some)
        It does well for me, sown indoors in early Feb and then planted into the greenhouse border when a couple of inches tall, it finishes producing just before the tomatoes need to be planted in there.

Comment

I have Bijou mangetout touching the GH roof and the first flower on a Meteor pea.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I have Bijou mangetout touching the GH roof and the first flower on a Meteor pea.
            Were they autumn sown VC? I've never tried that.

Comment

Show-offs rarely prosper - feeling somewhat green here. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                Were they autumn sown VC? I've never tried that.
                Probably about 4 months ago - I sow a new batch every 4 weeks, so I have 3, maybe 4 lots at different stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                  With the forecast for February I am doing my best to sit on my hands for the time being but like you Nick I am itching to get my first sowing of early peas in.
                  I'm not far from you Potty and I'm also sitting on my hands, even though its very tempting not to with all the seed chatter.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The infection seems to be getting worse - I've just put some tomatoes in plastic containers to germinate in the airing-cupboard (Principe Borghese, Tigeralla,amd Alicante).

I feel myself doomed but quietly accepting of my fate - probably a bit like the early Christians when they found out they were going to meet the lions.

Hope I don't end up at Morrison's buying coconuts with a view to germinating them in my poly-tunnel though.

Comment

I have mango and date seeds on the windowsill - never tried coconuts

Comment

I have just sown some Lemon and Orange pips!

Who am I trying to kid?
                        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I do have a small loquat tree mostly as it reminds me of Portugal - I brought some seeds back from there - there was a tree of them in the garden of the villa we were renting.

Comment

Round peas (not wrinkled) can be sown early or late to extend the season and tolerate lower temps. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...02-peas-2.html

Since flowers turned up in the mix I don't feel I have stopped sowing. I already feel behind. Veggies not done yet which I usual try to do in Jan are various brassicas and onions. There was some wheat and oats that should have gone in (oops). and my heated prop is meant to be up and running on the 14th Feb starting with chillies.

On a side note I have a pineapple plant in a jar of water. Thing is it has been like that almost a year now. I am scared of potting it up in case it goes into shock and dies.

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                              I have just sown some Lemon and Orange pips!

Who am I trying to kid?
                              Here's my lemon from a pip, Deano.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9301.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2376415

and here's my sprouting mango seed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9296.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.1 KB