Another spud question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another spud question

Can I just check with considerably more experienced spud growers that I've done my homework correctly.

6 of these all came from the same place. When they arrived they all had exactly the same sowing and harvesting times on them. Which I didn't believe because in the online write up some were early some main crop. Kind of why I got them. Didn't want them all ready at the same time.
    So is this anything like right?

Purple majesty. harvest Sep - Nov
    Sharpens express. harvest Jun- Aug
    Swift. harvest May- Jun
    Kestrel. harvest Jun - Aug
    Nicola. harvest Jun- Aug
    Anya. harvest Jun - Aug
    Cara. harvest Sep - Nov

Thank you

Early
    Swift. harvest May- Jun
    Sharpens express. harvest Jun- Aug

2nd Early
    Kestrel. harvest Jun - Aug
    Nicola. harvest Jun- Aug
    Anya. harvest Jun - Aug *** Special

Main
    Cara. harvest Sep - Nov
    Purple majesty. harvest Sep - Nov

You chit and plant them all about the same time . If restricted for time, plant in the order Early, 2nd, Main.
    Only difference is the growing times essentially.
    Last edited by 4Shoes; 20-02-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

They’ve given a long harvesting period,sharpes express is first early,Nicola is second early but they’ve given the same June-August harvest,S.Express would be ready June but still ok left a few weeks more & Nicola better nearer August but could be lifted earlier. I sow mine at different times,I save some first earlies back till May & June & sow them then,they’ll be the last new potatoes I get. You could stagger the sowings then the harvests will be at different times through the summer.

Comment

Thank you both.
        I basically got it right then. That a surprise

I'll be planting swift and purple majesty in the next few days. Swift because it said I could ( on the info I found, not the info they came with ). Purple majesty because I'm worried they are going to run out of energy. They've been chitting since November .
        They're going into spud bag in the tunnel, then I'll move the bags outside when I plant all the others.

Comment

As you should be on the wet and warm side of the country, I would get them all in earlyish as you might get problems with wet weather and possible blight. I would plant them all in March once the worst of the frosts have gone from your neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            As you should be on the wet and warm side of the country, I would get them all in earlyish as you might get problems with wet weather and possible blight. I would plant them all in March once the worst of the frosts have gone from your neck of the woods.
            It's definitely wet not convinced about warm
            Yeah all the others will be getting planted in March. That's when I normally do it. Fingers crossed I've never had a problem with blight.........so far !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X