Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilli seedlings growing well or not?

Hi guy

I planted my chilli seedlings on the 13th February. There's a variety of Jalapenos, Serrano's, Lemon drops and another Cayenne variety I got some seeds for.

I grew them in a propagator and transplanted them around a week ago. The serranos are growing the slowest as they took 3 and a half weeks to germinate. The rest are doing OK but I just wanted to see what the opinion is on the forum.

A few days ago I also started feeding the seedlings a weak mix of chilli focus and they seem to be fine so I will continue. Watching a lot of YouTube videos makes me feel that my plants are behind but there hasn't been much sun recently here in the midlands and I don't have any sort of grow lights. Furthermore I don't have a South facing window so I'm just having to make do.

Pictures attached, let me know what you guys think.

Attached Files

You could put some white card or foil around the back of them to help reflect the light back onto them. In the cups,you could carefully add a bit of compost so they don’t appear so leggy,daylights slowly getting longer

Comment

Hmm good idea, might try that out. They're only 5-6 weeks old so I'm just being impatient probably but most of these seedlings have been like this for 2 weeks now. The first 3ish weeks had alot of growth and they seem to have stopped.

I read online about transplant shock, could this be a factor?

Comment

They don’t like moving but I wonder are they warm enough? Growth slows down/stops when they’re cold?

Comment

I don't think the temperature is great in the room and it can get down to probably 16-18c in there at night. I do keep them by a radiator. Doesn't help that the weather's been quite cold either.

Comment

Hopefully they’ll carry on growing,they look alright,keep a daily eye on them

Comment

Patience! You posted that your seedlings weren't germinating and then they all did. Now you're worried that they aren't growing.

The pictures you are comparing them against are probably of plants growing under lights, which does make a big difference at this time of year. The extra light means they photosynthesise more so they grow more. As Jane says, they will grow more slowly if they're cold, but if they're not getting much light anyway, they are best kept on the cool side, otherwise the heat will cause them to shoot up rapidly but stretching for light so you'll end up with weak and spindly plants.

I think you're doing really well - what are you going to do with all those plants when they get big?

Comment

I'm planning on getting a greenhouse in the next month or so so will place some in there. Will keep around 12-15 plants myself and give the rest away.

I'll just wait it out, days are getting longer and should warm up. It's still early so should be ok.

Comment

Mine aren’t doing well. Planted four jalapeno seeds and only one germinated so had to plant some more......waiting.

They are at home indoors and above a radiator near a window.

Regards........Rob

Comment

I sowed my first batch at the beginning of February - no sign of life So today I sowed another batch with fresh seed. It's a bit late but hey, if I look after them they'll surely catch up a bit.
                    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

None of mine, sown on New Year's Day, have germinated

Sowed a new batch a few days ago, I'll try playing encouraging music at them, training montage style. Hurry 'em up a bit.
                      My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Mine have been rubbish - have three germinated from heated propagator that's it - but probably if you're not trying super hot varieties you'll still have time - if the Russian weather ever let's up...
                        sigpic
                        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Try germinating in Coco Coir

Planted about six varieties of chilli/pepper 3 weeks ago in Coco, in heated propagator - then straight under T5 grow lights when they popped up, got about 80% success rate. Now nice looking little plants - it’s going to be a fiery summer with all these chillis. Give Coco a try I’m loving it.

Comment

Regarding the last few comments, I grew about 10 seeds in jiffy pellets and I grew around another 35 in Coco compost.

I had a success rate of only around 40% in the jiffy pellets but the seeds I put in the Coco compost had a success rate of around 95%. I just had a normal unheated propagator and kept the propagator near a radiator. Also, when transplanting the seedlings, I noticed the ones grown in Coco compost had much bigger and healthier root systems compared to the jiffy pellets. The root system for the seedlings in the jiffy pellets we're the one main root (2-3cm) and that's it.

Would definitely recommend the Coco compost, got a brick from poundland for.... £1 ��!! Enough to make 10l and it's really soft and well draining. Would definitely recommend it for seedlings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X